Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks about crime! >

Blocks about crime!

Blocks about crime!

Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM

Courthouse Steps
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I just had jury duty last month and any needles or scissors of any kind were not allowed. You could take a small book to read or something that would fit in your purse. Had to leave at security gate. Maybe your county is different than ours.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:05 PM

The last time I was on jury duty, they almost took my cell phone and told me I would not get it back. Leave anything questionable either home or in your car. It is a long day and boring at times.
Sue
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 AM

The "singing Quilter" who has travelled and performed extensively in N.Am. has a quilt based entirely on crime. She composed a song as well and sell a CD. Goggle her and you may find enough to keep you busy.

www.singingquilter.com If you look at the 11th photo on her photo page, there is a quilt hanging Each block is part of a song about a crime. Hope that inspires you!!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 AM

I was called for jury duty a few years ago. I took hand work for the waiting time. However, the bailiff took my 3 inch scissors and my needle saying they were 'a security risk'. Hmmm. I was not a happy camper. I took a book the next day!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:25 AM

I once sat on a jury for a pedophile case. Can't imagine a quilt block for that! Don't want to, either!

sandy
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I was called for jury duty a few years ago. I took hand work for the waiting time. However, the bailiff took my 3 inch scissors and my needle saying they were 'a security risk'. Hmmm. I was not a happy camper. I took a book the next day!
yep. Sit quietly and read. Making crime related quilt blocks may be interpreted as contempt!
sandy
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 AM

Oh geez. I didn't read your post right and I though YOU were incarcerated :-). I was thinking, 'wow, they let them quilt in prison?' Do you think I need another cup of coffee this morning? Hee hee.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 AM

The Worcester, MA courthouse doesn't allow cell phones. Sometimes I have been able to get through the security area with a needle and a seam ripper (in place of scissors) to do my hand sewing but sometimes they confiscate them. Must depend on who is checking your stuff.

I do foster care so I spend lots of time just waiting around in the juvenile section of the courthouse, depending on the situation. I bring a few magazines or books just in case, though.

Once I had a screwdriver, from my purse, confiscated. I forgot it was in there...I keep it in there in case I come across a vintage sewing machine that needs to come out of it's cabinet before I bring it home...lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM

I've been told by locals here we aren't allowed to take anything in with us. Not even purses of bottled water. I would hate to just sit there......need something....