Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks and applique in pieces >

Blocks and applique in pieces

Blocks and applique in pieces

Old 01-14-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Blocks and applique in pieces

Someone gave me the entire set of Maggie Walker's Country Journal pattern pieces. I didn't realize until I picked these up from her that the fabric was also included, but it appears to be cut already. There is a reference in the directions that these came with the fabric on some kind of subscription basis, but i don't see on the Maggie Walker website that these are currently sold like this. I know these are vintage - they belonged to my friend's mother and she's been dead for at least 10 years. Unfortunately, that means there's nobody to ask that critical question "what did you do and where were you going with this?"

I'm fairly new to machine quilting, very new to applique. I'm thinking maybe I should set these aside until I get more experience. There are a lot of small pieces and just taking these out of the bags to try and figure things out s a bit overwhelming. I guess it's a good thing no sewing has been done - then I'd really be confused!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 AM

I found Country Journal on her design page. I wonder if you emailed them and asked to purchase the instructions? Or maybe someone on here has them. Here is the link to her design page.

http://www.maggiewalkerdesign.com/

Look on the left hand column about halfway down. Hope this helps!

ps...I just noticed there is a poster for sale. Maybe you could use the poster kind of like a puzzle box top? Love the quilt. Have fun!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Beth. I guess I should've been more clear. All instructions and pictures are included, including assembling the final quilt. The only thing I don't have is the backing fabric - and that's easy to take care of.

I'm just feeling intimidated by all those small pieces of fabric that have been cut for the applique! I realized after posting that I could lay out the pattern and start placing pieces on top of it so I can see where that's at, at least.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.
Maybe wait until you get more experience before you try to make it.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM

It is a very detailed project for sure! This is the info on it: This is a project suitable for the intermediate to advanced stitcher.

I think I would try a less detailed project until I was more confident with my hand appliqué.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 AM

I concur - put it aside for 6 months, work on other projects, then pull it back out again and see if you're ready. You will be surprised at how much your skill and confidence has grown!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I suspected these fabulous roosters were for those with more advanced skills - totally missed the recommendation on the website. I will put them aside for now, until I get some practice on easier projects.