Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocks on barns?

We just returned from a trip to Iowa. Between Caledonia and Hokah, MN we saw several barns with approx 8 X 8 squares, painted, which appeared to be quilt squares. One was a pinwheel, another hour glass, etc. One barn had multiple squares. Is this some type of quilter insignia or has quilting just gone to my head? We also saw one or two in WI.

We just returned from a trip to Iowa. Between Caledonia and Hokah, MN we saw several barns with approx 8 X 8 squares, painted, which appeared to be quilt squares. One was a pinwheel, another hour glass, etc. One barn had multiple squares. Is this some type of quilter insignia or has quilting just gone to my head? We also saw one or two in WI.

Some counties do this through the quild guild. You can check out Green County Barn Quilts. My local quilt store actually does classes to do these blocks too. :)

Yup. Posted this twice. Sorry!!

Blog Entries
    There are books written about the barn quilt blocks on barns. They are becoming popular around the nation. I googled it a while back. Lots of info.

I wondered if it was some type of guild. My husband refused to believe quilters would do this. He thinks I just see quilt squares wherever I happen to look. lol.

Eleanor Burns has a book out on this -- This series is also currently running on one of our satelite stations.

Caledonia is in O'Brien County, and they have a Web site for their barn quilts: http://www.obriencounty.com/tourism/oc_bq_index.html

Several other counties in Iowa, as well as in many other states, also promote barn quilts.

I made a small one for my shed I think there are alot of them is certain places I know Ohio had a lot
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MTS
    Banned
    This blogger has been taking pictures and keeping track of barn quilts in Wisconsin:
    http://cre8tivequilter.blogspot.com/...ilt-trail.html

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast