Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boarder Basics History Lesson Please

Boarder Basics History Lesson Please

Happy Holidays Everyone! Have been quilting for more than 30 years but must have been missing from class the day this was discussed, if it ever was. Why is it, when boarders are added to a quilt that aren't long enough, it is suggested they be connected to each other diagonally? Is it supposed to make the quilt lay flatter maybe? Is it thought that a diagonal seam is less conspicuous? Maybe wear better? Seems like a decent amount of fabric gets wasted, especially if you are piecing together a wide boarder when you piece diagonally. Not exactly sure why I'm questioning it after all these years, but would appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

Power Poster
    I go with what looks best to my eyes. I don't care what the "right" way is for borders and ignore the quilt police. Sometimes I do straight joins, sometimes diagonal and sometimes I continue the blocks out to the borders to disguise a join.

Blog Entries
    I do it that way( I made this up on my own,so am not an 'expert') ,because the seam doesn't show as much,it looks more finished,and the seam doesn't have as much strain on it; quilt will not have to be repaired as soon.

I never do diagonal seams on borders. A seam on the bias can be stretchy plus it wastes a lot of fabric. I have yet to find an actual reason to do border seams on the diagonal.

i often cut my borders on the lengthwise grain-so they are long enough- if i do choose to piece a border it generally has a straight seam- not a diagonal one- i only use diagonal seams for bindings.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i often cut my borders on the lengthwise grain-so they are long enough- if i do choose to piece a border it generally has a straight seam- not a diagonal one- i only use diagonal seams for bindings.
    this is the way i do it as well.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I think the join is much less conspicuous by making it diagonally, sometimes I can't even find where I've joined the piece. Have to agree it does use more fabric. No real law about it, do whatever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
    I think the join is much less conspicuous by making it diagonally, sometimes I can't even find where I've joined the piece. Have to agree it does use more fabric. No real law about it, do whatever you like.
    I agree some fabrics specifically the print dictates which seam will not be so conspicuous. The eye follows a straight line seam in a border , therefore more obvious . That being said its the fabric that indicates which seam will be more detectable.

I almost always use a diagonal seam, unless my borders have horizontal stripes. With stripes diagonal seams really show up unless you have a perfect match on the seam. Do what looks best to you.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I've never pieced a border with a diagonal seam. If I have to seam it, I place that seam where the seams between blocks already make the eye see a straight line. Until 18 months ago I had never heard that piecing a seam on the diagonal was "right", and I've been quilting, teaching, designing, etc. for over 30 years. When someone tells me that, I just answer, "Well as I wasn't invited to the committee making that decision, I'll pass on that "rule" thank you."

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast