Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin for blendables >

Bobbin for blendables

Bobbin for blendables

Old 10-26-2013, 03:36 AM

Default Bobbin for blendables

Good morning-

For the folks using Sulky blendables #30 to quilt, what are you using in the bobbin? I was going to use 50 cotton, being as how I thought 2 heavy threads would be too much and feel like dental floss. A helpful person at Harriet Hargrave's shop suggested this as well.

But when I visited another shop, the owner was very dramatic about how she'd never heard of such a thing and everyone there used the 12 or the 30 in the bobbin. (Of course, they're heavily into embroidery and use mostly polyester and rayon, anyway.)

i also have a book by Karen Linduska, in which she uses machine decorative stitches with the blendables 30 on top and polyester in the bobbin.

Now I am thoroughly confused and hoping that someone more experienced than I (which would be nearly all of you - LOL!) might have some advice.

Thanks,
charlotte
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 AM

I use bottom line which is a 60 weight to keep the bottom from building up. It is a very fine polyester thread and works very well with the heavier thread on the top. JMHO
Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I have also used bottom line. So fine is another good one both are from Superior threads.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

That shop owner showed her ignorance about thread use. All machine embroiders I know use the thinnest strongest thread they can find for their bobbins no matter what size of thread is on top.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 AM

I use a strong thin Cotten thread in the bobbin when I quilt with Blendables. Works best for me.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 AM

I use Aurifil 50 wt or 40 wt in the bobbin with Blendables. It works nicely.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. i do have some polyester, although it's not bottom line, and I was just eyeing the Aurifil speculatively today at KQ. I wish now that I'd bought some.

Thanks, also, for the feedback about the shop owner. She has just won a dealer award from a major machine mfg and is known for customer support, so I reluctant to just discard her response, particularly given how vehement it was.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM

if you can look at some of the dealer's work that may help you decide if you want to do it the way she does, make a sandwich and try different combos and see hoe they feel and look.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
if you can look at some of the dealer's work that may help you decide if you want to do it the way she does, make a sandwich and try different combos and see hoe they feel and look.
Great idea! Although what I've seen in the shop, which is very impressive to me as someone without an embroidery machine, seem to be more wall quilts and table runners, which look stiffer than a quilt would. I'll look more carefully next time.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Great idea! Although what I've seen in the shop, which is very impressive to me as someone without an embroidery machine, seem to be more wall quilts and table runners, which look stiffer than a quilt would. I'll look more carefully next time.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Don't just look ... ask your questions.
Sometimes what they said is "correct" ... but out of context to what your intent may be.
Or perhaps too, they just weren't totally focused on the discussion and said something inaccurate.
Ask for clarification ... and you might learn a lot more about thread uses and variables.