Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are Bobbin cases different??

Are Bobbin cases different??

I have an HQ16 and the bobbin is a size M. The tension holder arm is bent and will need a new bobbin case. Shopping online I can get a size M bobbin case from a longarm supply store for $39. or from Handi-Quilter for $89. If they are the same why the difference. All size M bobbins fit the bobbin case...

Blog Entries
    No idea why different price on your items. I know I shop around for parts or accessories and find great differences in price.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Yes, there are differences ...if you choose to go with a ( lesser priced) case try to ask the supplier what specific machines it is made for. It is not a deal if it causes damage ( repair bills) or doesn't fit/ snap in correctly.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

Have you contacted the seller to see if the lesser cost would work. With my Bernina, I found that generic parts such as walking foot do not work as efficiently as the real part. Have you tried searching on eBay??
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    having just traded in my old long arm for a Handi Quilter, I can tell you that bobbin cases are different. I had an extra case for my old machine. I got the generic and it worked just fine in that machine. I had hoped to be able to use it in the handi quilter, but my dealer told me it wouldn't work. When I got the Handi Quilter I could see it wouldn't. They are slightly different looking. So I guess the bottom line is you are going to have to spend the money & get the brand name one.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    The company that sells Glide threads has bobbin cases at very reasonable prices. You might want to try calling or emailing them to ask if one of their bobbins will work in your machine:
    http://www.bobbincentral.com/accesso...bin-cases.html

Blog Entries
    one is generic and the other the real deal. As much as you paid for your machine I'd go with the real deal. I've heard many people say the bought the generic and it didn't last to long and ended up buying the one made for the machine. This goes for bobbin cases, feet, etc.
    Judy

I am thinking it can be that way for just about anything. We recently broke a shelf in the freezer and Jim was checking prices. Anywhere from $16.00 to $27.40 for MOLDED PLASTIC!!
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Have you contacted the seller to see if the lesser cost would work. With my Bernina, I found that generic parts such as walking foot do not work as efficiently as the real part. Have you tried searching on eBay??
    I agree - generic cases and feet do not always perform like the brand name so they are not necessarily a better buy in the long run. There are actually many factors that might prohibit the generic from being as efficient as the brand name - There possibly could be a difference in specifications & "quality" control during manufacturing that might make the generic just slightly different in size, weight and function. Sometimes they are ok and sometimes not - ask lots of questions when buying generic and ask about returns in case it doesn't work out for your machine.
    Deb