Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin tension >

Bobbin tension

Bobbin tension

Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Bobbin tension

Just got my new Juki TL2010Q yesterday and bobbin thread is pulling to the top. After 6 years of using a totally computerized never needing adjustment machine I don't know what causes this. The top thread is sewing beautifully but bobbin thread is showing on top as well. Book, if you can call it that, shows me how to adjust top and bobbin tensions but not for a specific issue. I think I am going to just love this machine when "I" know how to use it.
Thanks,
Evelyn
Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 AM

If the bobbin thread is showing on top, either tighten the bobbin tension or loosen your top tension.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Bobbin adjustments are not scary if you take a picture of the little screws position before turning it. If turning the screw does not work out you have the picture to refer to to set it back where you started. I would start by reducing the tension on the top thread first to see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM

I always start by adjusting the top tension. I very rarely have to adjust my bobbin tension, and I keep a separate bobbin case just for that reason and leave my regular case set at the same tension.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM

There is a tool that is used to set bobbin tension. I've "heard" that it is not worth the cost. But I have always thought an inexpensive tool would be nice so you could set bobbin tension accurately if you change it.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I would take it into where I purchased it and have someone help you learn the tricks of dealing with tension on this machine.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
There is a tool that is used to set bobbin tension. I've "heard" that it is not worth the cost. But I have always thought an inexpensive tool would be nice so you could set bobbin tension accurately if you change it.
If you're talking about the Towa bobbin case tension gauge, it doesn't actually set the tension. It merely tells you how tight or loose your tension is. You have to experiment with the gauge and your machine to see what tension (or range of tension) works best with the combination of thread, needle, machine, and fabrics.