Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbin thread popping up on quilt top >

bobbin thread popping up on quilt top

bobbin thread popping up on quilt top

Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Default bobbin thread popping up on quilt top

I just purchased a juki 2010 and have been practicing FMQ. Trouble I am having is bobbin thread poking on quilt top. Not much, but nothing I adjust seems to help. I don't have this problem with my old Bernina and I am at a loss what to do to fix the problem. Usually I quilt with same color thread on top and bottom, but I have a quilt that needs to have a different color on bottom. Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM

You're pretty vague when you say nothing you adjust seems to fix the problem. Bobbin thread on top means your bobbin tension is too loose, or your top tension is too tight. Have you tried adjusting your bobbin tension?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Tensions were adjusted at store where I purchased machine, but I did try to adjust tensions again. It is not enough to make the stitch unsound...just a tiny speck that will show. I know from reading different blogs that some people never quilt with two different color threads for this reason, and was just wondering if anyone else used this machine and possibly there is no fix
Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

loosen your top tension a little at a time until the tensions are equal...and if it is very small poking up stitches they may disappear when the quilt is finished/bound & laundered.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM

I always have to adjust the tension on my machine when I switch from piecing to FMQ. Agree with ckcowl, make a practice sandwich and slowly loosen the top tension until the stitches are even.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

A perfectly balanced stitch will combine in the sandwich with no loops showing on either side. Sounds easy in theory but I stick to the same colour of thread in the bobbin and spool to avoid problems. If the quilt is for yourself, washing the quilt will usually puff it up and the thread will be pulled down farther into the batt.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

It is more difficult to achieve all balanced stitch when FMQing because, as you move the quilt around in different directions, tensions change in subtle ways. I have a Bernina 1230 and -- although wonderful in every other way -- I have never been able to use two different colors of thread when FMQing. With mine, the problem is intermittent in that sometimes the bobbin thread shows on top and sometimes the top thread shows on the bottom. I am convinced that some machines simply cannot achieve and maintain perfectly balanced tensions when FMQing.

If you are working on a wallhanging, I would advise adjusting so that top thread shows on the underside; that way the top should be fine. If you are working on a quilt that will be washed, be aware that in the first washing this issue usually goes away what with changes in fabric and batting. The biggest problem would be in a show quilt when you do not want to wash the finished quilt before putting it on display.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM

I was so happy to see this thread (no pun intended) I have a Janome and have issues with the bobbin thread in loopy FMQ. Straight or loose meander is fine but as soon as I try a loop....argh! I hate playing with the bobbin tension so will try loosening the top thread tension. Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM

the way to test your machine tension is to sew a straight line on the bias/diaginal: gently pull the fabric fabric by holding the ends of the stitching line. If the tension is even then the thread will not break. if the top thread breaks then the top tension is too tight: if the bottom breaks then the bottom tension is too tight. keep adjusting the tension u til the thread does not break. All that said: I have found that it is really hard if not inpossible to get the tension balance when doing FMQ. for that reason I use matching thread on the top and bottom.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Mine also seems to happen more when I do a loop. Straight is much better. I don't like messing with tension either...I am hoping when I wash this quilt everything will just be ok