Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin thread >

Bobbin thread

Bobbin thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Bobbin thread

I have a question, I use the same thread in my bobbin as I'm using on the top. I recently read that some people use a different thread on the bottom, why would you do that? Is it wrong for the top and bottom to be the same?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM

I have wondered the same. I will be watching this.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Not sure as I do the same myself for piecing. I think this has more to do with FMQ'ing and possibly longarms vs. DSM's.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Not sure as I do the same myself for piecing. I think this has more to do with FMQ'ing and possibly longarms vs. DSM's.
I agree with NJ Quilter that this has more to do with quilting than with piecing on a sewing machine.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 PM

No, it isn't wrong for the top and bobbin threads to be the same. I sometimes use Bottom Line in the bobbin so I get a more accurate seam when piecing. I have also used Bottom Line along with quilting thread when doing the quilting. I use a Bernina.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

I almost always use the same thread on the top and bobbin when FMQing. I like the look, and want the quilting to show on the back as well as the front. I often choose my backing fabric based on the color of thread I want to quilt with on the front.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
No, it isn't wrong for the top and bobbin threads to be the same. I sometimes use Bottom Line in the bobbin so I get a more accurate seam when piecing. I have also used Bottom Line along with quilting thread when doing the quilting. I use a Bernina.

How does this help with quilting? I am learning fmq so any advise is great!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Bobbin thread is thinner so you don't have to fill as many bobbins and don't run out as often. That's my understanding, plus it does help with more accurate piecing since there isn't as much thread taking up part of your quarter inch seam allowance.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

sometimes a person wants a different color in their bobbin and all they have in the correct color is a different type of thread than the top, sometimes a person is just using up what ever is on their bobbins & not worrying about it, sometimes a machine 'behaves' better with the same in both areas, sometimes the machine seems to like the difference--there is no right or wrong- as long as your machine is ok with the threads you are using and you are happy with the threads you are using ---do what works for you. I often use silk thread on top and cotton thread in my bobbin. just me- my machine accepts this & I like the results I get- but it depends on what I am working on - every project is different and I make decisions based on the project- not based on what the lady down the street would do.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Ok, I understand now. I like the look I am getting so I will carry on, I may try a bobbin thread in the future just to check it out. Thank you all for your input

Last edited by Ahof; 11-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.