Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin threading >

Bobbin threading

Bobbin threading

Old 12-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Bobbin threading

Hi everyone! I'm new to quilting and just read about bringing the bobbin up when starting your sewing. Never heard or read this method. Next quilt I do I will reread this post to remind myself to do this. Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

What happens occasionally is that the loose end of the bobbin thread will make a nest as the sewing machine is stitching. I often use a scrap of small fabric as a beginning and ending of sewing when piecing. Mostly, they are refereed to as enders. With quilting, I will start off the quilt so if one should appear, it will be gone when I trim the quilt. But I am very careful when I start quilting in the middle of the quilt because if you are not careful, that is when the nest will occur.

PS Welcome to the board!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I don't do this when piecing.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Ok - call me uneducated. I read the other referenced thread as well. I know about (and do) holding the tails of thread when piecing...typically don't use leaders/enders because my machine doesn't care. But how do you you get the bobbin thread to the top of your work in the middle of a quilt??? Not really an issue for me personally as I hand quilt, but just very curious as to the mechanics of the process.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Ok - call me uneducated. I read the other referenced thread as well. I know about (and do) holding the tails of thread when piecing...typically don't use leaders/enders because my machine doesn't care. But how do you you get the bobbin thread to the top of your work in the middle of a quilt??? Not really an issue for me personally as I hand quilt, but just very curious as to the mechanics of the process.
It's just like bringing up the bobbin before you start to sew.

I put the quilt in the position I want it to be, drop the presser foot and bring the bobbin thread up just like I do before I start to piece. You hold on to the top thread as you lower the needle into the hook and pull on it slightly as you bring needle back up. Sometimes you have to pull quite a bit harder than normal to force the bobbin thread through the sandwich. T h e bobbin thread will have a tent shape under the needle. Then you grab it and pull all the way through. If your work is thick, might have to use a pin or stilletto to grasp bobbin thread.

Hope this helps or makes sense.

If not, somebody will come along and edplain better than I did.

Here's a youtube linky about it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEmMYMjWUo8