Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Winder >

Bobbin Winder

Bobbin Winder

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Bobbin Winder

Folks, I know there have been threads on here in the past about bobbin winders with a lot of mixed reviews. My question is ....Is there a more heavy duty model that works better than the Sidewinder? I think I would like to have one to keep me from having to wind bobbins on my Bailey quilter. Any suggestions? Also, do they work on Bailey bobbins? I also use a Pfaff machine as well as a Featherweight. It would be great if I found one that would work with all of those bobbin types.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Looks like there is a Side Winder deluxe model also. I would love to know if someone has one that they are really happy with.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM

I only have the Sidewinder and really like it - have not had any problem with my machines using the bobbins from it. But I do not have a Bailey or a LA.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks quiltingcandy! I may just try one of those.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

This is the one I purchased.
http://fancyquilt.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=0
When you order, you tell them which bobbin you use and they send the appropriate model. I looked at a lot of the heavy duty ones, priced from $100 - $200. I had questions on how they operated and belive it or not, I didn't receive a reply from any of them except from Fancy Quilt. They were great to work with and I love my winder!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM

I know the ordinary sidewinder won't wind the larger bobbins. I have one. It is useless for me. My bobbins are larger. I can't help you with any others.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM

I have the sidewinder and it works great but can only use it for one machine. My Vikings wind the thread in the opposite direction so it won't work for it. I tried turning the bobbins upside down so it would be in the right direction but it still didn't do so well. For my Kenmore it works great
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

You should consider prewound bobbins instead. Both Superior threads and Filtec offer prewounds http://www.bobbincentral.com/ and they are totally worth it. I love Filtec magna glide bobbins and prefer to use those over anything. Better wind, better tension and best of all you don't have to spend valuable time messing around with winding.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
This is the one I purchased.
http://fancyquilt.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=0
When you order, you tell them which bobbin you use and they send the appropriate model. I looked at a lot of the heavy duty ones, priced from $100 - $200. I had questions on how they operated and belive it or not, I didn't receive a reply from any of them except from Fancy Quilt. They were great to work with and I love my winder!
Thanks kimg for bringing this up as I am desperate for one...
Paperprincess I believe you have the Viking long arm right? D you use the winder for both size M and L bobbins. I have the Viking 18x8 and want to be able to wind the M size but also for L for the regular sewing and embroidery machines.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Thanks kimg for bringing this up as I am desperate for one...
Paperprincess I believe you have the Viking long arm right? D you use the winder for both size M and L bobbins. I have the Viking 18x8 and want to be able to wind the M size but also for L for the regular sewing and embroidery machines.
Thanks
Hi Faten, I use it for the 18X8 because I just hated the way it winds the bobbins. I've had it for over a year. To be honest I don't remember if you can wind both sizes, because I just wanted it for the LA. I use prewounds for embroidery, and just wind them on my viking diamond for piecing and sewing. I would suggest you contact the fancyquilt.com site they are very helpful. As I said, I really like mine a lot. Winds the bobbins smoothly with good tension and very quickly.