Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbin winder.  Is it worth it? >

bobbin winder. Is it worth it?

bobbin winder. Is it worth it?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 PM

My friend has one and loves it. She has a sewing group for Care Caps for Cancer using 13 machines constantly so one person does all the bobbin winding. A real time saver. Never felt it was necessary for myself. I wind several bobbins at a time.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:39 PM

I, like Lenette, have a Viking and I don't have to unthread to wind a new bobbin. I had one given to me as a gift and when I tried it my machine didn't like it much. I gave it to a friend, she loves it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by janey39quilts View Post
Do you use a sidewinder for refilling your bobbins? I want to get one if it does the job. Read reviews about not winding tightly, not filling whole bobbin, jumping off the table, etc. What was your experience? Thanks.
I've had my Sidewinder for over 3 years and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Banned

Someone gave me one a few years ago as a gift. I really love it and use it a lot.But I would probably never buy one on my own,,,Im tight ! LOL!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 AM

I use my bobbin winder all the time. I have several machines of the vintage type and it is great on all my different bobbins. Love it. Buy one, get a Joanne's coupon to get it cheaper, you will love it. I am not associated with this product or Joanne's in any way.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 AM

This could have been my problem. It's been a while, but I do believe I used the battery option.

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
My friend has one as she dropped her Janome Jem and broke the build in bobbin winder. So she bought a bobbin winder instead of paying for fixing her machine. It works really well for her but she always plugs it in and does not use the battery option. I believe people have issues if they do it on the batteries.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewnbug View Post
I too have wondered what others thought about these. I would buy one, but I have a Viking and they won't work with my bobbins.
This is only true of some of the Vikings; check the makers. Even the one here listed as better doesn't do the blue or green ones but will do the rest of them. I also use mine to load applique thread on. I have a bunch of old metal bobbins that I wind thread on and then it takes less room when I take my applique on the road with me to the doc, etc to work on.With the bobbins being different it's easy to see what they are being used for and I don't get them mixed up with the different machines that I have.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by pennylynne View Post
Hey all you Viking owners the pink bobbin winder works with the green bobbins. You have to put the bobbin on upside down for the thread to wind in the correct direction but it works great. It is a snug fit so you get a good fill. I too didn't see the purpose of one until my winder on my machine broke and after spending over a hundred dollars to get it fixed it didn't tension wind properly. Pink winder to the rescue and now I love it.
You can do the same thing with the white winder; I did it just to try to see if it worked; it did.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mcwillia View Post
if you want the absolute best bobbin winder (and made in the USA) check out http://theeasywinder.com/
I have the Sidewinder deluxe and the standard result is uneven, not tightly wound, and unusable. My quilting machine came with a professional winder but bobbins for regular sewing machines don't fit. The Easy Winder gives the same result as the professional winder. It does require a thread stand or you can buy the Universal Stand with the Easy Winder. Check out the videos on the site. The gentleman who handcrafts the winder has a great sense of humor. He shipped the day I ordered and the winder arrived in 2 days (from FL to WA)
Marilyn
I would buy this one if I didn't already have the side winder, which I do like.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM

I do not use mine. Its just another dust collector. It doesn't seem stable enough~more like its base isn't heavy enough to handle the speed at which it winds ~ which makes it not wind even. Thats my experience anyway.