Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbins, bobbins, bobbins >

Bobbins, bobbins, bobbins

Bobbins, bobbins, bobbins

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 AM

My Viking takes a green bobbin which I think was a good thing to keep from mixing up bobbins.
My other machines I have even used prefilled bobbins on and no problems. Both are Brother cheaper machines.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 AM

I have also used a super fine sharpie to mark the weight of thread in the bobbin....like 50 as compared to my regular.....and my mark stays on.....I guess I am lucky as all my Bernina bobbins are metal and all my Brother bobbins are plastic......heaven help me otherwise.....
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM

I mark with the sharpie right on the bobbin. When more than one machine is in use they do not get mixed up. four machines, four different bobbins. Grrrrr.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM

I knew there would be a wealth of information here. I guess I am going to have to mark them. Was hoping I could tell by looking but that isn't the case. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM

My Singer bobbins are slightly bubbled compared to the Elna which are flat. The Elna will deal with the Singer bobbins but the Singer will only work with Singer bobbins and only the bubbled type that it came with. My old Euro Pro mechanical and my Voyager quilting machine take the same metal bobbins & use the same pin on the bobbin winder. The plastic ones use a different pin and the bubble-type Singer bobbins are more apt to wind incorrectly because the bubble butt makes them wobble.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I think just marking the bobbin with whatever style it is would be adequate. Some bobbins will fit more than one machines.

I wish the manufacturer would stamp whatever it is on the bobbin.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think just marking the bobbin with whatever style it is would be adequate. Some bobbins will fit more than one machines.

I wish the manufacturer would stamp whatever it is on the bobbin.
Oh my goodness gracious girl....that would make it too easy for us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where would the mystery and challange be then.......
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have used an ultra thin permanent Sharpie marker right on the flat side of some bobbins to identify what machine they go to. I agree, this is a problem with the plastic bobbins, which are sometimes so close in size, yet not interchangable. Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers just all used a standardized size, like most were years ago? Either that, or have the machine name right on the bobbin? We just have all the answers, but nobody asks us...
Agreed and I want a bobbin that beeps me! I can't see the bobbin case while I'm sewing!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing View Post
Agreed and I want a bobbin that beeps me! I can't see the bobbin case while I'm sewing!
Well mine does tell me when it is running real low, but it doesn't re-fill it self, which I wish it would do. I do have to stop and pull out the empty and put in a full one....but yes it does beep !!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
Over the course of 60 years I have had a few different sewing machines. Only my singer had the metal bobbin, the rest have been plastic-and I have kept them all. Is there a way to tell the difference in bobbins,of course, besides the width? My Brothers seems to want only Brothers bobbins. So far I have been successful in keeping them apart from the rest but besides marking them, is there a way to tell which ones they are?
Good luck. I'm currently using a rather simple Brother and its bobbins are ever so slightly larger than the plastic bobbins I've got. So, I'm trying to find what I need. No luck so far.