Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BOM by mail order >

BOM by mail order

BOM by mail order

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Have you or are you doing a BOM by mail? Does it seem to work for you? What site or shop do you use? I see so many that I would like to do and was wondering if its worth it. Can't wait to see everyones answers.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM

I did one. My mother paid for it because she liked the quilt. It was from Stitchin Heaven. It is very expensive to make a quilt this way (typically $25 "sign up" fee -- never sure what that was for), then many charge anywhere from $15 to $40 per month, then you have to buy backing fabric. On the plus side, the fabrics were all perfectly coordinated. I think this is what the appeal is more than anything. I haven't done another one since unless it was a 'buck-a-block'.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Yes, I did one of the Patchwork Party 2009 where blocks are delivered by 12 different shops. Had absolutely no problems. Fast and friendly.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 AM

just don't do starrfabrics, they never send you your blocks for months, but other companies should be fine that are known for excellent customer service
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

i have done a few over the years- in ways they are a good way to go---one block to deal with a month- some shops have a set send date and charge your credit card the same time each month- others tend to send them out---when ever each month---and also charge your card....whenever

be prepared to pay about $300-$400 by the end of the program to do a quilt that way-
if you feel that is ok for 12 blocks....

also= if you have any problems putting your block together- or with being shorted in your kit- you have delays- sometimes additional charges- and no one to show you how to do what you are having problems with.

they certainly have their pros and cons....
if you choose to do one- choose a shop that has been around a long time- has a track record- and i prefer the shops that do not charge an extra (sign up fee) on top of the cost of the monthly blocks + shipping
be sure and find out about finishing kits---sometimes you think it's not so bad---$24.95 per month + shipping could easily already cost you $360 then at the end you get a package with border/binding fabrics and another $100 charge!

read the fine print- make sure you know what you are getting yourself into-
and remember it is a year long commitment- they will not willingly allow you to drop out part way through- they will charge you for the whole program!
for your first bom you might want to find a local shop doing one and start there.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 AM

I did two but ended up doing them all at once, :roll: instead of doing them one month at a time. It can be expensive but I really wanted to try them. I was happy the way they came out and learned a lot. Since you are left with the pattern or the book you can now use your own fabrics to make another, if you wish.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 AM

I did BOM's for Dear Jane. I just couldn't imagine standin ing in the fabric store picking out all those fabrics. I also did Sylvia's Bridal quilt and Jenny Byer's Moonglow. I got my BOM's from Stitchin Heaven in Texas. They are great to work with. I was also able to get the tools I needed to accomplish some of the things needed in the blocks. I have quilted for 30 years and still have trouble picking out fabrics for quilts.These are no brainers for me. I don't have an ounce of artistic color matching in me, but I'm a good sewer. So I know that the projects will get finished and I will be happy with the results.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

I can recommend this site. They did a good job getting the blocks to me regularly and with plenty of fabric.

http://www.storyquilts.com/html/block_of_the_month.html
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM

I did a block of the month ONCE...the fabric was NOT what was shown on the website, it was OK, but I was really disappointed! All that work for a quilt where I did NOT love the fabric! I'll never do that again. If you love the pattern and are convinced to buy it...I would suggest that you call the shop and ask is this the original fabric!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I did two but ended up doing them all at once, :roll: instead of doing them one month at a time. It can be expensive but I really wanted to try them. I was happy the way they came out and learned a lot. Since you are left with the pattern or the book you can now use your own fabrics to make another, if you wish.
Yes, I checked the internet for my second one and the prices varied quite a lot. Finally I got as the whole thing at once and it was 1/2 the price!! $149 vs $330! So check out the pattern on the internet, some other shop may offer it cheaper.