BOM

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM

That's a gorgeous quilt!

I'd love to do something like that, but sheese! For a queen sized quilt, minus the batting cost, for the top alone you pay $309.27! Add the backing to that price and you're paying $394.77...would have to add the cost of batting...and then if you send it to the LAer... ~sigh~

I couldn't justify the cost! Four to five hundred dollars (or more)for a quilt that I could use a bit of brain power to create for much less...~bigger sigh~
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen
Ha. Do you know if the money is taken out when it ships, or...? I want to get the backing too, but that's a big chunk if I don't know when it's coming out.
I think they charge your credit card when they ship -- except for the $9.99 they want up front :D :D And now we just have to wait until MARCH to start this thing :-(
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 AM

I figured, before I signed up for it, that it would be $265 (includes shipping) spread out between 12 months, and I don't think that's bad for a large queen size quilt top. I just consider it an installment plan. If I were to make that on my own, I would most likely try to buy all the fabric at once and I cannot do that. So doing it slowly works well for me.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM

The BOM kit at $19.95 per month = 239.40
The shipping at $4.95 per month = 59.40
The membership fee at $9.99
Ok...my math was off comes to $308.79 without backing, batting, or professional quilting...

Slowly, or installments would work for me too, if the end result wasn't so much more than it would be if I saved and bought the fabrics from say...Whittle's.

I can't wait tho, to see what you all do with this! It really IS a pretty quilt!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM

You're right -- I calculated wrong.

You have a very good point. I don't mind doing it this way, as I know I wouldn't do it on my own.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

I've never done a BOM like this and I know it's kind of expensive. But with paying it over a year, it's not too bad. And I'm hoping that the instructions will be clear and that I won't be paralyzed to cut the fabric :lol: :lol: Has anyone done a BOM from this company? Do they send enough fabric that in case you mess up, you haven't completley ruined your quilt????
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I've never done a BOM like this and I know it's kind of expensive. But with paying it over a year, it's not too bad. And I'm hoping that the instructions will be clear and that I won't be paralyzed to cut the fabric :lol: :lol: Has anyone done a BOM from this company? Do they send enough fabric that in case you mess up, you haven't completley ruined your quilt????

:shock: :shock: :shock: I've never done a BOM before. I didn't think of mess-up thing.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM

I dont mind the price. I use fat quarter shop and the fabrics are DELICIOUS! They are all wonderful to work with, and paying that much in installments is the only way I can afford it as well, but I figure....I am going to have this for the rest of my life, and then hopefully my childrens as well. It is an investment to do something this nice imho. :) I just signed up for the civil war BOM can I handle two a month??
Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 PM

And yes ducky, they do send extra fabric. I have enough scraps from my last one (and only have half completed) that I am going to make a scrappy lap quilt. :)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Gosh... I dont know!!! LOL It is gorgeous for sure. I am already doing the civil war BOM from fat quarter....Are you going to post your progress?