Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter >

Bonnie Hunter

Bonnie Hunter

Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

My friend is using 2.5"squares as enders and she hopes to make a quilt from them
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 AM

It's funny. I am all things Bonnie, but I don't use her leader/ enders. I make her l/e quilts or projects, but - I don't need to use them. The machines I use do not get upset with starting a seam, I've had several that do, but not right now. I also sew with a Juki f-600 that doesn't need them. I sew in long strips, not individually most of the time, but when I need to start from scratch my machines just do it. Am I the only quilter who locks her seams? After many repairs on quilts I had put together and were starting to open up, I got fed up and just lock stitch when I start.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Thanks for bringing Bonnie Hunter up again. I really am going to have to retrain myself to start using her method. I don't have the scraps, but I bought several precut kits that I am going to start sewing while I am stitching other patterns together. This will get rid of those other leaders full of thread that I have now. I hated wasting the thread anyway. It's amazing how someone has to point something out to me before I can see it how it can apply to me. What I will have to deal with is that I don't always use the same needle setting or stitch length for all projects. I guess it's time for the sticky notes.
I do use L$E, but only when I am piecing, there is no tension/ stitch changes for that....if doing any other sewing, mending, that little basket gets put to the side.....
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 AM

Bonnie Hunter is going to do an all day workshop for our quilt guild next year. That date is reserved on my calendar and I am going to be one of the first on the sign up sheet. I'm also putting down the money to reserve my spot.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
I'm a fan too. Can't wait til the end of October.....I'm signed up for a class in Texas
Are you going to be at the Stitchin' Heaven class(es)? There are four of us traveling down from Arkansas to attend all 3 of her classes next month. Hope to see you there!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:56 AM

I started using Leaders and Enders after finding Bonnie last year. I have made 2 quilts since then, and had the "bonus" third one from using them.

Now I have no projects going, so I'm going to be cutting the pieces for a Smith Mountain Morning (one of Bonnie's patterns) that I'm going to make for my brother. Need to think about finding something for Leaders and Enders for that.

I'm hooked!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM

wow,bet that was fun and a learning process.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

I was once part of a guild that had her come and do a talk, followed by a class the following day which I couldn't attend because I have a day job. I had never heard of her, and wish I had paid more attention to her because now I am a huge fan and didn't know the treasure I was learning from at the time.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 AM
Suz

I, too, use enders and leaders. I keep a pile of 2-1/2" squares used for this purpose wherein I stitch the 1/4" seam, thus collecting for a scrap checkerboard for another project.

Sorry, #11 above. My response is redundant.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I've been to two BH workshops and learned something in each one that has helped me piece and cut easier and better.