Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border or binding direction >

Border or binding direction

Border or binding direction

Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Border or binding direction

Does it matter which direction I join border and binding pieces? Should they always be sewn from wide (printed)selvage to narrow if there is not a directional print? What about strip piecing strata runs? Is there a right/left to the strips?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM

could be just me, but I'm not getting your question. Are you asking if border and binding pieces should be cut from a cut across the width of fabric(selvage to selvage) as opposed to length of fabric?

As to strata runs, I define these as strips of various fabrics sewn together to form a strip set, as you would for a bargello quilt. Is that what you are asking?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM

I am wondering if I need to pay attention to the way an overall print is joined to make a binding or border. I am sewing from WOF selvage to selvage. I can see how to sew if there is a directional fabric, but on an overall print, I do not really know which side is up, so I just join whichever end I pick up. Should I join the printed selvage to the non printed selvage.
There was a second question I did not make clear. When joining strips for a strata for a bargello, do I need to sew them all from the printed selvage to the non printed one? Does direction matter when sewing WOF?
Thank you for clarifying my question.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

If the fabric is not directional, it doesn't matter to me. What I do try to do is have all the 45 degree joins going in the same direction in my binding. Does that really matter? No but it bugs me if they don't all go the same way. I do trim off the selvage edge of my binding strips before joining them.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

With a non-directional fabric, direction does not matter when sewing WOF.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I agree in principle that with a non directional print it should not matter, but I had a print that I thought was non directional, until the quilt was all done and I took a step back. So now I err on the side of caution. If I don't have enough yardage to cut the border lof, I try and remember to join the strips "printed selvage to the non printed selvage" just in case there's something subtle going on with the print. It certainly will not hurt.
As far as bargello, the way you join the fabric will not effect the way it behaves (if this is your question).