Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border Designs >

Border Designs

Border Designs

Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 AM

Question Border Designs

I hope I word this right so that you understand what I mean When using a quilting template how do you get it to come out even on your borders?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

It is not that difficult but it does take some math skills

1) mark your two corners.

2) measure the the length of one section of the design of your stencil.

3) measure the width between your two ends from your corner block you marked. Then divide that by the length of one section (step 2) Usually, it is easier to stretch out the design but if it is close, then you squeeze it (usually in the center of the section. I then mark with a pin so I know how to center the section and start making. If the fabric is dark, I use white powder chalk so if you make a mistake, the chalk is easily removed.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 AM

There are 2 options for this:
Option 1: Symmetrical Design, but different corners (works well on square quilts)
I prefer to have the full design centered on middle (mark or press a line showing center of each side). I center template over center line & work outward toward the corners. When I've finished my last full design, I will look at how much space I have to the corner & come up with a design for the corners that extends out to meet where the templates ended. Or some people just put a partial design that ends at the cornerstone.

Option 2: Symmetrical Design, but different centers (works well for rectangles)
Start marking just outside of your cornerstones & work toward the center line. When you get to the center, you will only be using part of the template (or find a different template/design that fits). I take a piece of paper & cut it to the size of the gap. Then, I see how that looks using just the center of the design. If that doesn't work, I trace the design on a separate piece of paper & try folding it different ways, using the same part of the design on both sides, until I find something pleasing that fits into the space.