Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border fabric question.

Border fabric question.

I used 3 fabrics from my stash in a quilt top: green, gray, and a black and white hounds tooth. I barely have enough left of the 3 to do the borders. Is it OK to use a completely different fabric for the binding? I was also thinking about buying a new fabric and making an additional border of it and using it as the binding to pull it all together. Will it matter that it isn't in the main body of the quilt?

I don't care about the quilt police but I do care about the look of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    It's fine to use a completely different fabric for the binding. You don't even need to use it in an additional border. A black binding might look really nice, considering you have a black and white hounds tooth in the body. Michael Miller Jet Black is a really nice black solid.

As long as the binding blends well with the quilt, especially the outer border, it's fine to use a fabric not found anywhere else in the body of the quilt top.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    As long as the binding blends well with the quilt, especially the outer border, it's fine to use a fabric not found anywhere else in the body of the quilt top.
    I agree!!!!

I frequently use a fabric for binding that is not part of the body of the quilt. I think it adds a little sparkle to the quilt.

You can also do a two color binding which the front side uses only inch wide fabric.