Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border help/advice needed >

Border help/advice needed

Border help/advice needed

Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Default Border help/advice needed

Hello! With some trial and error, I just finished piecing a quilt top that ended up square in size and smaller than planned due to my measurement errors. All was not lost, however, but my blocks ended up being 5 inches, rather than 5-1/2. I need the finished quilt to be rectangular to fit on my queen bed, rather than the current square size. The pattern is kinda fussy and I can't just add more rows of the completed blocks. I need some suggestions for borders to enlarge this quilt. An additional 14 inches (7 plus 7) on two sides, and 28 inches (14 plus 14) on the other sides would be great, to match the size of the quilt already on my bed, which I know fits. The odd size is throwing me off and I'm not "seeing" the finished product. Appreciate any and all help since I'm new at this! :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Can you post a picture of what you have completed? Without a picture, I'm thinking I'd bands do of the quilt fabrics equal to 7" on each side of the quilt, then a one color or print 7" border all the way around. I would not use a plain fabric for the first add on (the two sides one). It will look like just - an add on. A pattern like stripes or something with HSTs or 4 patches will make it look more planned.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Yes, a picture is the only way to see what you have and comment on what might work to make it bigger.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM

I would like to see the picture of it before giving my 2 cents. I'll check back later.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Default Picture attached

Let me know what you think...
Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM

If I understand..you want to add 14 to sides and 28 to length? I would do a narrow border of the darker blue all the way around then a border about 5 in on the short sides and pieced blocks and then another border to make it the length you need it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Your misjudge on the block size, would not change a rectangle quilt into a square quilt.
Instead, it would appear that you did not do all the blocks/rows that are needed.

You could add one more row to each side for a total of 10", then you just need 4" in borders.
And for the ends, you could add 4 more rows, for 20" or ... 6 more rows for 30".

Looking at the pattern, these additions would not take from the pattern and would work fine.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM

I love the colors.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by New Creation View Post
Hello! With some trial and error, I just finished piecing a quilt top that ended up square in size and smaller than planned due to my measurement errors. All was not lost, however, but my blocks ended up being 5 inches, rather than 5-1/2. I need the finished quilt to be rectangular to fit on my queen bed, rather than the current square size. The pattern is kinda fussy and I can't just add more rows of the completed blocks. I need some suggestions for borders to enlarge this quilt. An additional 14 inches (7 plus 7) on two sides, and 28 inches (14 plus 14) on the other sides would be great, to match the size of the quilt already on my bed, which I know fits. The odd size is throwing me off and I'm not "seeing" the finished product. Appreciate any and all help since I'm new at this! :-)

Having looked at your later photo, you pattern is not at all fussy. I'd add at least one row each end of the blocks and diamonds. That would reduce the addition necessary by a total of 10".
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM

looking at your pattern, it does look like you have room to add more rows to enlarge your quilt without throwing off your design. as another option, i saw a comment to add an dark blue inner border and then you can add a row of blocks as another border before adding your outer border. the quilt looks like you have done a wonderful job on it. good luck with your finishing. it will be a beautiful quilt.