Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border hoops >

Border hoops

Border hoops

Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM

I hand quilt and was thinking of purchasing a border hoop. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would this be a good purchase? I am not exactly sure how to use it but, hopefully this board can help me. thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

The border hoops are usually a half circle with a strip of fabric across it to pin the edge of the quilt on
One one of the shows I did for QuiltersTV I demonstrated a technique to use heavy rubber bands pinned to the edge of the quilt and wrapped around a round hoop to quilt the edges of the quilt. It works.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM

It sounds like another thing to temp us with but would spend most of the year on a shelf in the way!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

wouldn't it be just as easy to sew/baste a piece of fabric to the side of the quilt so that the entire quilt hoop is filled with fabric? but you just quilt the quilt half of the circle
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM

That card table idea that I was looking at a while back on this board worked for me. I took the top off from an old card table and used that to hand quilt. It doesn't take up a lot of room. I am toying with the idea of using pvc pipe to hold the quilt in place. I used straight pins to hold it onto the table.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks Holice for the info, I could give that a try.. now to get some heavy duty elastic....
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 AM

A friend has one and uses it all the time on her quilts. She has offered it to me but I have not taken her up on the offer. Have been tempted to buy one but I get away with just using my normal 14" round hoop and just moving it more frequently. I'm just too cheap to spend the $$ on the edge hoop and I wouldn't want to hold up my friend on any of her projects.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
wouldn't it be just as easy to sew/baste a piece of fabric to the side of the quilt so that the entire quilt hoop is filled with fabric? but you just quilt the quilt half of the circle
I have border bars that came with my Jasmine easy spinner hoop on a stand, and I can't figure out how to use them. I use a dish towel and pin it to the part of the border I am going to quilt, I think it would be similar to doing it as QuiltnNan has described. It works great.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
The border hoops are usually a half circle with a strip of fabric across it to pin the edge of the quilt on
One one of the shows I did for QuiltersTV I demonstrated a technique to use heavy rubber bands pinned to the edge of the quilt and wrapped around a round hoop to quilt the edges of the quilt. It works.
I would be more interested in hearing about this. By chance did you do a tutorial?