Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: border measurement

this is probably a dumb question, but what is the widest you can do a border? Is 7 inches too much?

Blog Entries
    I have done up to 6 1/2 and it looks fine but you will want to FMQ it. I did not on one and it ended up not looking right. I have done others though and FMQ'd it and it looks great. 7 inches should be fine.

thanks for the quick response

Blog Entries
    if you do some searchs for quilt images you would see all ranges of sizes for borders. i've seen some very wide ones.
    usually you want them to be a good measurement to your quilt blocks. all depends on your patterns.

I think it depends on the quilt. 7 inches is doable, but it will need a bit of quilting for it to stay looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by carmen garcia
    this is probably a dumb question, but what is the widest you can do a border? Is 7 inches too much?
    There's no rules ... you can make it much larger, if you want! As others have said, it really depends on the rest of your quilt, how it looks with it and what look you like!

you can do a border any size you want-
    it is best to try to make it (go with) the blocks in the quilt- like if you have 12" blocks- some measurement that divides into 12---that just gives it a balanced look- but i have seen quilts that had a center that centered on a bed top= with 18" borders for the overhang- it was a beautiful quilt---
    make your borders any size you like the look of- it is your quilt

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have done up to 6 1/2 and it looks fine but you will want to FMQ it. I did not on one and it ended up not looking right. I have done others though and FMQ'd it and it looks great. 7 inches should be fine.
    I agree.