Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border-phobia >

Border-phobia

Border-phobia

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Wow, time to venture out a bit on your own!
First off the machine.... My favorite machine I use on projects I really want precise and perfect is a 1956 singer, your ( mentor) would probably have a heart attack!
You can keep the machine you are comfortable with for the rest of your life if you want to.... There is no reason to consider upgrading/ spending money on a new one if the one you have works for you! My daughter has been creating quilts, clothes, costumes, crafts on a little $89 wally world Brother for almost 20 years, she loves that machine ( and hates my $5000 viking)
There is No Reason to believe you are not ready for Mitered borders! I've seen many new quilters successfully attach Mitered Borders to their very first quilt, you just need to watch a couple tutorials/ videos, once you understand the process miters are Not Difficult! If that is the look that would enhance your quilt go for it, some quilts ( need) mitered borders.
Generally if mitering you sew your multiples together first, if making straight borders you add them one at a time.
It's time for you to jump in and finish one of your quilts (I would actually do one with mitered borders) then when its done, Show it off! To your ( quilty sheriff) prove her wrong!
Many, many longarm quilters use polyester thread! Cotton tends to break A Lot! With the high speed machines! Its pretty common practice, even the most spectacular big famous show winning quilts have been quilted with polyester thread!!!
There are so many fabulous battings available now, it is just ( sad) to limit yourself to only one and never try anything else. I purchase Dream Poly by the bolt because that is the one most of my customers request most often. I do have cottons, wools and other blends but 9 out of 10 request the poly ( unless you told her your.... Friend....would have no idea what batting you used)
Read packages, read info on line, choose a different batting for every project for a while & see what YOU like!
When someone starts taking the fun out of what you are doing its time to step back. sometimes folks with good intentions can become horrendously stiffling.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM

I keep reminding myself - Finished is better than Perfect (but not finished)!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Hey!

I just wanted to throw in some support because I just finished my first quilt ever and was super happy with it. I have no sewing experience, except for the quilt I just made (bought a sewing machine off of craigslist for $75). I followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWQABZwis8 to create mitered corners, and they came out really well, seriously. I was going to use this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CuzT9nMCw before I decided I really wanted mitered corners.

This last month I have learned a lot about quilting, but the biggest lesson is to just jump in. Do it. Find an online tutorial you like that makes sense to you and then Take it 1 step at a time.

You can do it!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM

One of the first quilts I ever made before I knew it was "too hard for a beginner" had mitered borders. And they were even cut on the bias because I didn't like them on the straight of grain. I actually cut and sewed the borders, took them off and cut into bias pieces, and sewed the pieces together very carefully matching the design. Then I reattached the bias border. Guess what? It turned out great and is still one of my favorite quilts. I also did a pieced back and managed to center it right in the middle so my hand quilting would line up. Don't let so-called rules discourage you or keep you from reaching out in your quilting.

[And I see I have the sideways picture thing going for me.]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 02-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM

Ha! As another "teacher", I have just the opposite problem. I say - it's fine, let it go - but my "student" keeps trying to get it perfect and ends up frustrated and annoyed over the whole thing
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Stop it!!
Fire that "mentor" aka obsessive, manipulative, quilt police!! No wonder she offered so enthusiastically to "teach" you without pay...an opportunity for her own agenda easily instilled without questions.
My word, how DO we let these people loose on the unsuspecting quilting newbies?!! They should be required to wear signs around their necks.

(Okay, rant over. )
It is fine to add multiple borders one at a time.
It is fine to add multiple borders all at one time after sewing them into a strip set.
It is fine to MITER a strip set of multiple borders. In fact it is a slightly more advanced skill that produces a "graduate school effect" as my old mentor used to say. BUT it is not required, for Pete's sake.

Mitering takes a bit of practice as angles are necessary, butting seams are useful, sewing to a specific point (often marked with a pencil dot) is wise. But it can be learned and you will be delighted with yourself when you've done it!

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I just HAD to add....
When you've done this quilt, no matter whether YOU think it's perfect (because it will be just wonderful!), show it at the guild's Show and Tell and don't even mention this police person's name so as not to give her any justification for taking credit.

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

If you are not doing mitered borders, I would not sew the two fabrics together to add as a single border because straight cuts won't line up. If you want to do the easiest border, do a straight cut. As long as you measure across the center (or across 3 places and average) and use that measurement exactly along the edges, there should not be any problem. I think your friend was probably talking about wavy edges. She didn't mean to scare you.

As for the quilt itself and the level of perfection you talk about: Right now you are working a foot away from each little piece. You see every mismatch. Once the top is complete, sandwiched and quilted, the quilt will take on a whole new dimension. Odds are, what seems like a gaping error, won't even be noticeable. I have left some mismatched corners/points and when the quilt was done I couldn't even find them. Trust yourself. Besides, as a beginner you should be proud of every step you learn. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are taking the joy out of the process.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 02-11-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
Thanks everyone!! She says that I need to upgrade my machine because it's a brother. I have never seen in my life and wanted to learn to make a quilt. IMO it was stupid for me to spend $1000+ on a machine that I didn't even know if it was something I would enjoy doing doing. I really like my machine. It's easy to operate has a few extra bells and whistles. She has higher end machines but what I have suits me just fine. I'm not going out and buying something else. I have just come to the conclusion she's a very controlling person.

I appreciate everyone making me feel more at ease. In theory, I know how I'm suppose to do borders but I guess she really has me questioning my abilities. I have been in my sewing room getting the fabric I have purchased for borders for my tops with the tops to dive in and work on it. Hopefully after getting through the first one, I can be more confident.
Keep your Brother until you feel you want/need something more. Don't let anyone pressure you into going whole-hog on a sewing machine.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Your mentor is a sweet dear old soul. Thank her and move on.

1.) I use a 40 YO Bernina. Goodness sakes, you are sewing in a straight line! a 1/4 seam! There are people on this board who use treadle powered sewing machines. My local quilt dealer rolls his eyes anytime I come in. He knows I could afford a new machine. I know I could afford a new machine. But why? Your Brother sounds just fine.
2.) I feel bad for all the people whoever get one of my quilts. I break every rule. I measure along the side, cut enough fabric and join it together with a couple of inches left over, I attach the border, then trim it on a long table with a 24 inch ruler running down the existing end cutting it as if it were another addon piece of top. Which it is. So what have I done wrong here? Used fabric that was not cut parallel to the selvage. Pieced it, usually with straight edges instead of 45 degree angles, didn't measure the center of the quilt (the border ain't on the center, now is it?). Didn't miter my ends.
When I am finished all four borders, I might put four more on, the same way. In the end, I measure the quilt (to make binding). OH no! this edge is 3/4 of an inch longer than it's opposite! Too bad. I have yet to find a single person who gave back my quilt because it wasn't square.
Now, here is the only rule of thumb I follow. If you can't see the error at 55MPH as you drive by with the quilt hanging on a clothesline, the error doesn't exist. Because NO ONE else will see it. Remember, this is cloth. It is a breathing beautiful extension of your own creativity, bound only by the love you give it as you make this artwork that will be cherished and loved. tim in san jose