Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BORDER PHOBIA >

BORDER PHOBIA

BORDER PHOBIA

Old 06-14-2008, 04:09 PM

I'm making my very first quilt, which is a crib size baby quilt for a special friend. The top is pieced and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. However, I haven't touched it in a week due to BORDER PHOBIA. Now, these are two simple non-pieced borders and for some reason I was terrified to cut into my fabric. I finally forced myself to get 'er done. I measured, re-measured, chickened out, measured again. Finally..I just cut. I just pinned the long sides of the first border to the top and it looks like it fits perfectly! I know that borders are critical and can make or break a quilt. I feel like I'm going out on a limb here having an inner and outer border on my first quilt. I would really appreciate any tips from the experts here before I go any further!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Cindy, I'm no expert . . .but after putting quilts together for 20 years or so, I recently read that the borders are critical, which I never knew.

So don't get yourself all worked up; borders usually come along just fine and your quilt will be beautiful!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Cindy, I'm certainly no expert either, however, I was taught to do the sides first then the top and bottom. See what others think.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:31 PM

I was taught to measure the middle and the two sides, average these numbers and cut the side borders, pin to fit.

Then measure the top middle and bottom, average and cut. pin to fit.
This eliminates the "floppy" borders.
Purple
Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM

You poor thing. Don't get stressed by the borders. I've cut them longer and squared everything after they've been sewn and pressed. I know that's not how it's done, but it works until you have that perfect measurement technique down. It all takes practice. You'll be a border pro in no time!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:22 PM

I don't worry too much about borders...I do what makes me happy and looks good (Ihope)
I ususally line up one corner/edge then square it before placing the opposite border...
Then I'm done...
Hope this helps.
Kirsten
Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 PM

I agree with purplemem, measure each side and through the middle, then average the number. After you get the first border on, repeat the process. I've tried cutting them longer, then cutting off the extra but it's much too easy to get one side longer than the other that way.

I hope you will post a pic of your quilt!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 AM

When I do borders I put the sides on first. I take the border I cut lay it down the middle of the quilt and cut it the length of that measurement. Then I lay it along side the edge of my quilt and pin the two ends on then pin starting in the middle an going each way until it is all on. If the quilt is a tad longer than the border I ease it in. Pin closely together and put the quilt on the bottom when sewing and the feed dogs will take up the extra. this will prevent wavey borders. Then I take the top and bottom border lay it across the middle after the side border are on and cut it to that size. Repeat the process. Hope this helps. Marge
Old 06-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Update! Border is on and all is well :D I chickened out on the double border and decided on a wider single border. I have a bad habit of trying to run before I can walk. Many Thanks to everyone for helping me along my way. Miracle of miracles - my quilt is sqare! I am sandwiched now and trying to decide whether to baste or safety pin. How much extra backing and border should I leave around the top? I have quite a bit extra at this point. 4"-5". I will have to machine quilt due to time constraints. This is a gift and I hope to have it ready to go by next week. I am already stressing over the actual quilting. The design has 5"
plain blocks and I am wondering how in the world I can fill these. I am literally flying by on the skin of my teeth! I will try to post a couple of pictures of what I have so far, but that is another new skill too.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Drat! Pictures did not work. Back to the drawing board to learn how to post a pic.