Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Borders with corner stones >

Borders with corner stones

Borders with corner stones

Old 10-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Default Borders with corner stones

I've tried looking around the board for answer but unsuccessful. I need some help as to putting on borders with corner stones at each end. There are 5 borders so any help will be appreciated greatly. There has to be an order to put them on or something, I'm just not getting it.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

I cannot picture 5 borders and cornerstones unless your quilt is a pentagon shape.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Tartan, I think the OP means there are 5 pieced border strips on all four sides.

If the OP could post a link to a picture of the pattern or quilt that would be a big help. Is there just one big cornerstone in each corner or is it 5 cornerstones for each strip? You may have to sew them on one at a time if the latter.
The only way I know how to sew on multiple strip sets of borders in one fell swoop is to miter the corners so if that is the case then each cornerstone would actually be a triangle that when joined in the miter form a square.

I think it would be easier to sew them on one at a time.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-04-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I also think you need to do them one at a time.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:48 AM

First, I measure my quilt's sides and determine the smallest border I can use. When I use the averaging method, I will always get some ruffling. I put pins at each quarter point. Then I cut my borders to that width and mark the 1/4 length intervals.

I sew both sides of the borders onto the pieced quilt top. Square them up and remeasure your length.

When I do cornerstones, I sew the first cornerstone onto the border. If I had multiple borders with a single cornerstone, I would probably sew them as strip pieced, then add the first cornerstone. Then I sew all the way down that first side leaving an unfinished seam at the end. Square that side up, then add the cornerstone and finish sewing. I know....it's not the approved way, but if I lightly stretch the border as I am adding it, I don't get any ripple effect.

Continue the same for the other side.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-04-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 AM

I found this link very helpful - I hope it is what you are looking for ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sa-HeY4dNg
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

This would be my process.

1. Measure the quilt top to determine the width and length. (I'm not going to go into the process of measuring in several places, but you know you have to do that.) Write down the width and length.

2. Cut the borders for the sides using the length of the quilt and attach.

3. Cut the borders for the top and bottom using the width that you originally wrote down in step 1 (not the current width) and cut those borders.

4. Now cut the cornerstones. The cornerstones should measure the unfinished width of the borders on the sides by the unfinished width of the borders on the top. If the borders are the same width all around, then the cornerstones will be square. Attach a cornerstone to each end of the top and bottom borders and attach, matching seams.

Repeat all steps for each border. The measurement in step 1 will change as you add borders. Always use the latest measurement.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM

In resource mode this post appear on QB Help Center forum.....But on Home mode I cannot find it anywhere......strange. Shouldn't it actually be in Main forum?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the help, I like the link but can't seem to wrap my brain around it. So far Dunster has came up with what I think will work out. It is a rectangular quilt if that helps anyone come up with more ideas. Again thank you everyone.