Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
borders to enlarge quilt to king size >

borders to enlarge quilt to king size

borders to enlarge quilt to king size

Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM

i I am making a "stack and whack in a queen but found out my daughter has a "king" so I'm thinking of adding borders. gold 4",red 5", floral 6"(Fabric used in the quilt) red 5", gold 4", this would add 24" to each side. All you experts out there what do you think? The red is the backround fabric in the quilt. Thank you, peterparley
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM

i don't think it would look right, IMHO..that is alot of borders and it may take away from the quilt blocks you did.
you would be better off making more blocks.
how big are the blocks?

have you tried "auditioning the borders"? lay the blocks out, then fold the fabrics in the size you want them to be, and lay them all next to the quilt..

i think people add 2 or 3 at the most for a border..
Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 PM

I too suggest to add more blocks instead of more borders. It looks too obvious. You could add one small border all around, one row of blocks all around, and one last border all around, just to make it more interesting.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:35 PM

can you send a picture of the quilt and your border selections? Do you have any extra blocks you incorporate into the border? I have a couple of books on borders that give great suggestions.
One that I have done that really looks good and not like you only wanted to enlarge it.
use on two fabrics for three borders. The widest border goes in the middle (size can equal the other two borders, but I would not make it larger) The same fabric on either side of the center fabric. Example borders 1 & 2 say CUT 4 1/2 inches = 8" borders, and center border 7" wide (cut 7 1/2).
Old 01-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peterparley
i I am making a "stack and whack in a queen but found out my daughter has a "king" so I'm thinking of adding borders. gold 4",red 5", floral 6"(Fabric used in the quilt) red 5", gold 4", this would add 24" to each side. All you experts out there what do you think? The red is the backround fabric in the quilt. Thank you, peterparley

Can we see what it looks like so far?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM

More blocks. I know that is not what you want to hear, but too much border looks like you tried to make it bigger. I did like the idea of given above of two matching smaller borders with the contrasting one in the center. I will have to make a note of that.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

I know it is personal choice, but I know the three border sets to have one thin, one skinny, and one really wide border - sort of like a matted picture. Your dimensions don't fit that concept. I agree with the others to add another row of blocks.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Can you bring a couple of stack and whack blocks to tumble into and over the borders? That could make it appear more planned.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
GMA

I've tried the boarder thing and it didn't work make more squares
Old 02-01-2010, 06:20 AM

Ladies, I have figured it out! I wish I could send a picture, I don't know how (DUMB ON THE COMPUTOR) If you know Bethany Reynolds' Stach n Whack you know there is no way to make more squares. The backround fabric is red so I am going to put a 5" border of red which will incorpoate it into the top then use "Brushandthimble's" suggestion of a 4",7", and another 4" that will add the inches I need. Thanks for your help. Quilters always come to the rescue. I'm also going to call Bethany and run it by her. Peterparley