Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Borders

Am I the only one that thinks plain borders are overused? I understand some quilts need them but I'm getting tired of seeing quilts with one thin strip and one thick strip of fabric. I'm trying hard not to do that anymore.

Banned
    OK...I won't lie...I do them cause they're the easist and quickest...:)

Banned
    each quilter has his/her preference.

Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin
    OK...I won't lie...I do them cause they're the easist and quickest...:)
    That's funny!!! Only because i can soooo totally relate!!

Blog Entries
    By the time I get to the stage of needing borders, my mind is usually too fried to do more than a couple of plain borders. I also like to use them to show off my quilting! Pieced or other techniques used in borders are wonderful too! That is what makes quilting such fun, there is something for everyone's taste!

I seldom use borders at all, plain or fancy, never really have. I think when they are added, they should add something important to the design of the quilt...and certainly more than just size! :oops:

Banned
    I love big borders for fancy quilting but for donation quilts I like maybe 4 inch borders for easy peasy border. I love multiple borders on quilts. jmho

Blog Entries
    I make quilts to be used... so while I enjoy piecing the tops, I don't always go all out on the borders.
    It might be different if I was making heirlooms instead of utility quilts :D:D:D

I love a pieced border, they can add so much more visual interest but can be tricky to work with and are very time consuming. A plain border is a great place to showcase fancy quilting like feathers and such.

A lot can be said for using the many border prints available as well. Jenny Byer is like the queen of designing and using border prints to enhance the quilt and really give it a wow factor. Again you have to match the repeat and be very careful on your corner miters. And as ghostrider said you want to enhance or compliment the overall design of the quilt. Sometimes plain borders do that.

I too like more than a plain strip of fabric in the border, but sometimes, that is all that a quilt needs to give it the finished look.
    My favorite border is the "piano key" but sometimes that is just too much distraction for the center of the quilt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast