Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bottoms for Bow Tucks Bags

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i use the plasctic corregated for sale, or political signs. i cut them up to the size needed. and make them removable. i usually just staple the fabric around them..
    Hey, what a great idea! I have a political sign leaning against my house, and now I know what to do to get rid of it. (It's a sign for a candidate who lost in the Primary Election so not needed anymore.)

crt
    I use corrugated plastic, too. I buy mine from a sign shop for $2 a sheet, and get several uses out of them. It's lightweight and sturdy. I just make a sleeve out of the lining fabric for it. It's great stuff!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i use the plasctic corregated for sale, or political signs. i cut them up to the size needed. and make them removable. i usually just staple the fabric around them..
    Hey, what a great idea! I have a political sign leaning against my house, and now I know what to do to get rid of it. (It's a sign for a candidate who lost in the Primary Election so not needed anymore.)
    yes, lol! i am NOT stealing them from houses!

No it is not heavy.

Great idea!

I do wood working also. I use Luan, a type of plywood that is very thin (1/4th inch). I cut it with my jigsaw, sand the edges and "pillowcase" it with fabric. I put a small dot of velcro on the open end for washing. It is very sturdy and lightweight. If you ask at home improvement stores they sometimes have scrap pcs at a markdown price. I have been know to plead an gotten them to cut it into the smaller pcs I needed for free.

After I made about my fifth bag, I figured out that if I used a washable piece of plastic canvas as a bottom support, I didn't need to put it in a removable sleeve. Instead, I put the plastic canvas between the outer bag and the lining. No extra step of making a sleeve! One layer of plastic canvas seems to work just fine -- the quilted lining helps add support. Here are pictures of a finished bag, both outside and inside views.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jridner1
    Nice to know, still working up the courage to try this one.
    Bow tucks are fun to make. And easy. So easy, in fact, that I made the next two without rereading the pattern. (they call that hubris) :oops: :roll: Went out-of-order putting peices together and learned reading the pattern is good. :?

I buy square linoleum tiles (usually 12" but you can get bigger ones) from Home Depot or Lowes. Can be as cheap as 79 cents each. Some are more stiff than others, but you would be able to tell which you like.

Pretty easy to cut to size using a straight edge (hmmmm quilt ruler) and a utility knife. They have just the right amount of flexibility.

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought the cutting mats that you use in the kitchen for only $1.00. I use 2 pieces and it seems to hold up ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast