Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought my first longarm!! >

Bought my first longarm!!

Bought my first longarm!!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Congratulations! I have been looking longingly at the Crown Jewel. DH says we don't have room for one, but I told him that nobody ever sits on the sofa in the great room and it would fit perfectly in that spot. So far, he's not falling for it! LOL. I'll keep working on him though. Please post after your training retreat and let us know how wonderful it is.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Good way to make your decision. All the $$ for outsourcing LAQ adds up. If one has the space, time and energy to learn and do their own LAQ, well, good for you. Please keep us posted and keep posting samples of your quilting as you learn.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM

I figured the same way you did only I bought the Avante. Eventually I will break even! Love the machine.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM

I bought a Crown Jewel at the Cincinnati Quilt Show a little over a year ago and I really love it. I went to the Crown Jewel 4 day class in St. Louis with Kay Capps Cross and really felt comfortable with my machine and frame when I came home. I have done 21 quilts on it so far and also some practice quilts. I do not have the computer. Have used groovey boards, pantographs and now some free motion. I also have learned to use rulers and sometimes make my own pantographs. It is so much fun!!!. Friends have asked me to quilt their quilts for them, but I am not brave enough to do that. I really don't want to spoil the fun of it. I have helped 2 friends learn to use it, but have not rented it out. Don't be afraid to try new things. I practice with my machine turned off for awhile before actually sewing on each quilt. I also practice the pattern on paper with pencil. I hope you enjoy your Jewel as much as I have.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Congrats! I also looked at that one as well. Enjoy!!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Congratulations!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations, be sure to take pictures when your new machine is setup and ready to roll.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

Congrats. there is a learning curve with this type of machine,I have been told to play around with my machine on a table top befor putting it on the frame. Most of the problems I have with my machine is operator error.(that sounds funny when I say or type it) I am still learning.But life is just a big class room, is the way I see it.Just practice on a fabric sandwich so you will not be so afraid of messing up one of your quilt tops.Have fun with your new purchase.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Congratulations on your purchase of a Longarm. I also, like drgranny, had class with Carrie. She is a very good teacher. Her class was well structured and we stayed busy for two full days. You will learn lots about the basics of how to use your machine. You will leave there motivated, and that is a sign of a good teacher.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Tomorrow is the big day! I know I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight!
Have fun with it