Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought a new Piecing machine today >

Bought a new Piecing machine today

Bought a new Piecing machine today

Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Bought a new Piecing machine today

A Babylock Grace, it has a lot of extras for the money. When I was shown the different way to wind a bobbin on this machine that did it for me, makes perfect bobbins every time.
It also has a 1/4 inch stitch, no need for a special foot.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM

sounds like a winner to me! Have fun with it. If I'm not being too nosy, how expensive was it?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

What's different about the bobbin winder?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes the bobbin winder is awesome if its the one on the espire, does wind them perfect. Love the babylocks. The difference is you don't have to use the pedal the machine does it for you and perfect. It is also separate on the espire so doesn't interfere with sewing if you want to sew. Bobbin won't get wound uneven.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM

My daughter has that machine and is very happy with it. Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 AM

Thank you, I paid $400 at a dealer(retail is $700), the bobbin has a thread cutter where after you set up to wind a bobbin, you wrap the thread around the spool a couple of times then cut it with the cutter that is under the spool. Bobbin then winds either using the start/stop button or your foot on petal.
It has 40 stitches, one being the 1/4 inch stitch. I needed a machine to do piecing on, my Euro is having bobbin issues again, if the bobbin is wound properly on that machine it runs like a dream, if not, it becomes a nightmare.
The Grace has snap on feet, I can use the extra feet that came with my Euro. Being lightweight, it can be moved easily.
I looked at Janome, Brother etc, even though they were cheaper and online order, they didn't have many of the things that the Grace has, so that made up my mind when I sewed on the floor model. I was looking for the speed control which this machine has, needle up and down was an added bonus, as well as the start/stop button, the different bobbin winding etc.

Last edited by DebsShelties; 05-16-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Congrats, enjoy your machine!!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks, I played with the machine this am, checking out the stitches etc. Love love love the 1/4 in stitch!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you got a good for you machine. Always good to use a new one.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 AM

good luck. I have a babylock ellure plus, not really a fan.....it was to replace my viking, but I find myself piecing on the viking. first, the one has supposedly 3 - 1/4" seams and no one can tell me the difference? I do not like the 1/4" foot, it has that little piece of vertical metal on the edge, fine for straight edge pieceing, but try putting a "dog ear" under that thing, not good. I hate the threading near the needle, I do not have tiny hands and the space there is so tight tough to get the thread around the #6 spot....and auto thread...yuck and thread cut, yuck..too many times it has unthreaded on the next piece......or that little "knot" they call it, as you begin to sew, looks to me like a little bird's nest....and I had to buy a long plastic guide so I could use my large cones of thread rather than the little ones on top of the machine...just to clear the top of the machine...needless to say, not a good purchase on my part.......and my viking is heavier and foot pedal does not need to be "nailed" down to the floor...........stays where I put it.......