Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bought old house  quilts in attic >

bought old house quilts in attic

bought old house quilts in attic

Old 01-21-2015, 11:04 AM

It's beautiful, but the attic is one of the worst places to store a quilt because of the extremes of hot and cold there. The cotton may be fragile now, so be careful with it.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM

How lucky are you! It is possibly a 30's quilt with that bubble gum pink border. Value, I don't know but it is a treasure and if I were you I would want to keep it. The Cathedral Window is the only quilt I know that is never filled with batting .. I would say this is the true "quilt as you go" quilt. LOL
Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Welcome - the quilt is called Cathedral Windows - usually hand sewn - but not very old and not at all valuable. I have one and it is quite delicate to wash - have to "mend" it after it is washed - so we don't use it.
I agree with NikkiLu. I don't see any old fabrics and if it has been stored in the attic, the cotton could start to deteriorate.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:07 PM

I love this pattern. You're so lucky. Even if you don't want to sell it, it would be nice to have the quilt appraised for value!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Your quilt is great and would have taken forever to make.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM

The quilt is very beautiful. I think it would hold the most value to a family member of the maker of the quilt. I would try and trace the owner by looking up who owned the house previously and give it back. If the maker were deceased give it to a family member. What a joy that may bring, and that would be the biggest value. It was probably forgotten in the attic, often moving is stressful. Just my opinion
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 AM

You found a treasure, and any quilt is valuable. Someone put valuable time in that quilt, and it is beautiful.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful Cathedral Window. They are a very work intensive quilt to make but awesome. I just finished one this past summer
Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
The quilt is very beautiful. I think it would hold the most value to a family member of the maker of the quilt. I would try and trace the owner by looking up who owned the house previously and give it back. If the maker were deceased give it to a family member. What a joy that may bring, and that would be the biggest value. It was probably forgotten in the attic, often moving is stressful. Just my opinion
Wholeheartedly agree. This quilt could quite possibly be priceless in sentimental value. Monetary value is only what someone else is willing to pay. Don't believe you have an Antiques Roadshow treasure there but to a relative, it could very well be a treasure and the feel good vibes you will get by returning it to a family member will be well worth it, now and later.
Do the right thing and contact the previous owner or resident of the home. If they don't want them, then by all means put them up on e-bay. You could get as little as $20 for it or as much as $100.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bekkieokie View Post
You found a treasure, and any quilt is valuable. Someone put valuable time in that quilt, and it is beautiful.
I'm with her. Those would be my exact words to you too. What a find! treasure it, whether recently done, or done 90 yrs. ago.