Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tuck help >

Bow Tuck help

Bow Tuck help

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 PM

got my pattern in mail today - so excited to try to make one. have been reading a lot of tips on the board - but if anyone has any suggestions on what has worked best for interfacing etc - type of interfacing etc - that made the project easier and better. all the ones posted are so awesome - I am afraid mine will look horrible but really want to try one. don't want to feel left out? lol
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I use the pellon that the pattern says to use, I have read other post that use whatever they had on hand. I have never had any problem with the pellon, and the bags turn out very nice. I don't need to use any kind of plastic,cardboard for the bottom of the bag either. Have fun, and remember, one step at a time
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM
np3
Power Poster

There are lots of threads on this board. You can search for them by clicking on search on the top of the screen.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 PM

I use the Pellon fusible batting that is recommended by the pattern maker. I haven't tried anything else and probably won't because it works so well.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I use cottong batting and spray baste. I usually use what I have on hand. I also use Something for the bottom. It keeps the bottom from sagging. Just have fun!!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I use cottong batting and spray baste. I usually use what I have on hand. I also use Something for the bottom. It keeps the bottom from sagging. Just have fun!!
Ditto
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM

I made 2 Bowtucks so far & have a mini cut out to sew.
I felt the directions were at times confusing so I made a "practice" bag. It went together great and looks okay. The second one I made I was distracted by a few things & had a couple of problems, (truly operator errors)
After reading posts on here in the first bag I used regular batting and spray basting. In the second one I made as a gift, I used the pellon that is recommended in the pattern.
The Pellon makes the bag stand up nicer a bit stiffer if you will. The batting makes it softer if that makes any sense. Some people do the quilting and I have a friend who says she doesn't even quilt many of them. I recommend taking the time to quilt it. It looks nicer in the long run and if you're going to take the time to make them, you should take the time to quilt it. It doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to keep the fabric and the backing together as the glue on the pellon is not exactly permanent.
In the directions it says to glue the bottom panel to the fabric. When you measure the fabric against the bottom "cardboard", it isn't long enough to cover the board. I used the Plastic canvas that many have recommended here on the board. I made a sleeve with my fabric, slipped the canvas in and stitched the sleeve closed. That way it can be laundered along with the bag if so desired. The plastic does not disintegrate, and you will have no raveling of fabric.
Be sure to leave the 8 inch opening at the bottom of the lining. I did not on one and had a small tear in my fabric when turning the bag.
I'm sure there are other experiences that can add more, but that's my nickels worth this morning.

Happy Quilting!
Susan
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I used the recommended pellon for my bag and it worked great.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM

I used the pellon but I had to crank the heat up on my iron to get it to adhere!! Make sure not only do you have a steam iron, but that you have water in the steam iron. LOL