Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tucks question >

Bow Tucks question

Bow Tucks question

Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 AM

How easy are these to make? I consider myself a novice so easy projects are best for me. I'm so impressed with the pics of these beautiful bags and I would love to make them and maybe get a head start on Christmas. Also, as far as materials, are they expensive to make? The economy has kept me from excelling at my beloved hobby for a while, but I'm itching to create!

Thanks for you help!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 AM

I just finished my first, I needed to follow directions closely only because I had not done construction of purse before. I think its fairly easy. Just go slow, and read directions a couple times before u start. Mine turned out pretty even hubby said so this morning, he saw it on table. Just jump in like I do. ha
Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by topper1
I just finished my first, I needed to follow directions closely only because I had not done construction of purse before. I think its fairly easy. Just go slow, and read directions a couple times before u start. Mine turned out pretty even hubby said so this morning, he saw it on table. Just jump in like I do. ha

I heard there is no pattern, just instructions. Was this confusing?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 AM

the cost of the materials depends a great deal on how much/yard your fabric is...do use as good of a quality of fabric as you possibly can....it takes between 2 and 2 1/2 yards/tote and then you have fusible fleece--I think pellon will be on sale at Joann's next weekend for 50% off. the pattern calls for 2 yards/tote. reg price of the 987F pellon is $7/yard.
it usually takes me 2 to 2 1/2 full bobbins of thread to make one. .....ginny
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by crossginny
the cost of the materials depends a great deal on how much/yard your fabric is...do use as good of a quality of fabric as you possibly can....it takes between 2 and 2 1/2 yards/tote and then you have fusible fleece--I think pellon will be on sale at Joann's next weekend for 50% off. the pattern calls for 2 yards/tote. reg price of the 987F pellon is $7/yard.
it usually takes me 2 to 2 1/2 full bobbins of thread to make one. .....ginny
That's not so bad I guess. My dad just came home (he lives with me) from the hospital and it was a bad scare. There's something about trauma that just makes ya wanna create something beautiful, ya know. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but that's always how I feel. I'll watch for the JoAnn's ad. Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Actualy the pellon is much cheaper at Walmart if you have one that carried fabric I paid $2.89 a yd. there is a tute online for some help after the first on they are super easy.
The pieces are just rectangles so very easy to cut.

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Actualy the pellon is much cheaper at Walmart if you have one that carried fabric I paid $2.89 a yd. there is a tute online for some help after the first on they are super easy.

What a great tute! Thanks! I think I'm gonna order the pattern.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Trueimage, I think the pattern is fantastic.

For example, I especially like the handles and have used the technique for other items.

Another example, use of fleece to add body to the bag. If cost is a problem, use batting. Some spray the batting with aerosol glue, others adhere the batting with a web, and I have pinned or hand-basted the area to be quilted. It is worth hand-basting or machine basting :-)

Be sure to use a good quality fabric and you'll be thrilled with the results. Get ready for compliments!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Up North

Only problem is, Walmart does not carry the correct type of Pellon. I've looked in several walmarts and they have the Pellon fusible fleece that is too heavy for this tote.
Joann's will have it on sale for $3.50/yard next weekend.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 PM

If the fleece is the heavier type, only use one layer, and a half width for the straps/handles. You might want a mid weight fusible interfacing for the lining side. I generally don't use both layers of fusible fleece in mine anyway. <G>

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/[/quote]

Only problem is, Walmart does not carry the correct type of Pellon. I've looked in several walmarts and they have the Pellon fusible fleece that is too heavy for this tote.
Joann's will have it on sale for $3.50/yard next weekend.[/quote]