Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Did I Mess Up!

Boy Did I Mess Up!

It looked like a quick and easy pattern using six fat quarters + yardage for the borders. So I grabbed six fat quarters and started to cut. The cutting instructions were very clear with diagrams for each fat quarter. Of the six fat quarters I messed up three of them! I'm blaming it on the 1/4 and 3/4 inch cuts. I usually do 1/2 and full inch cuts. I was also using a new ruler for the first time. So now I'm in the process of re-designing the pattern to fit what I've cut. Who knows, I may like it even better than the original.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OH, BOY! Can I ever relate to that one! I usually buy 1/4 to 1/2 yard more than a pattern calls for, just because of my propensity to cut wrong the first couple of times! I feel your pain.

I can relate also. I have a stack of 120 squares that I'm using as borders on a quilt. One border will be a saw tooth border and so I cut a bunch of squares on the diagonal. The other border will be a diamond in a square pattern. I forgot about the second border needing a bunch of full squares. Too late - I cut too many on the diagonal and am now sitting here trying to design a fix!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingme View Post
    OH, BOY! Can I ever relate to that one! I usually buy 1/4 to 1/2 yard more than a pattern calls for, just because of my propensity to cut wrong the first couple of times! I feel your pain.
    Ditto that!!!!!

Blog Entries
    It happens. Try marking your ruler with post it notes on the correct line. It's very helpful, especially if you are interrupted frequently, like I usually am.

I feel your pain!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    It happens. Try marking your ruler with post it notes on the correct line. It's very helpful, especially if you are interrupted frequently, like I usually am.
    this is what i do also. it is a wonderful tip
    Nancy in western NY

been there, done that. I think all of us have or will have done this if we're serious about quilting.

Laurie

Just artistic license....

i use painters tape to mark my rulers --leaves no sticky!--but i have to put an arrow to indicate the bulk of fabric--or i still cut the wrong width !!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast