Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
boy do I need help! >

boy do I need help!

boy do I need help!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 AM

Unhappy boy do I need help!

I was talking to someone about doll quilts and other things we make here on the board, well the person asked about dog quilts, so could you direct me to where to go , do I make them like doll quilts? so please help, this also may be a way for me to pay a bill as well. so any help appreciated.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM

OK...my question is .....Is this going to be a people quilt with a dog theme...or...is it going to be a quilt for a 4 legged doggie...... Then if it is going to be for a doggie do they want a dog bed (stuffed) or just a 3 foot square quilt to put on the end of a sofa for the dog to lay on....or on the floor.....
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM

I would think if you just make a square to fit a small dog or a rectangle for a large dog it would be pretty much the same as a quilt. I would suggest constructing it out of an old blanket. Dogs do a lot of scratching to make their beds and putting together any kind of squares would be a waste of time. You could embellish the blanket with applique pieces using wonder under. Hope these suggestions help.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

What size dog does she have? Make something very simple and use darker colors....it's going to get dirty. If you have some polyester you are wondering what to do with, it washes and holds up well. Piece scrap batting together for your batting layer, or use a beat-up or stained blanket as batting. Of course, if that dog is the light of her life and she is willing to pay a lot for a quality quilt....???
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM

I goggled "DOG QUILT BED" and then looked at images.....you will get great ideas from there... Will also depend on kind and size of dog and where it is going to be used (on sofa or floor) If on the floor I might even consider adding an insert (cedar chips) that can be taken out when washed. I am currently owned by 5 doggies and they are all different, but all claim the current quilt as their own. Have old, old quilts folded on my floors in the sewing studio, they each have their favorite spot and quilt....needless to say I am never alone.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM

yep, ladies you came through again, the way I understand, they want a quilt for the doggie to lay on, and its a small dog,
So I don't have to do a lot of fancy stitching like we do our quilts then? great I will get on it. oh and I do have some poliester that I really need to do something with and it is dark. again thanks ladies.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter View Post
I was talking to someone about doll quilts and other things we make here on the board, well the person asked about dog quilts, so could you direct me to where to go , do I make them like doll quilts? so please help, this also may be a way for me to pay a bill as well. so any help appreciated.

Find a pattern you like and make it the size to fit the dog in question.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 AM

I've made a couple quilts for the cats, I just make them smaller. They've been washed plenty of times too!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM

I make quilts for dog shelters. Use everything ... upholstery fabric, denim, heavy cotton, cordoroy, polyester. I make them using 8" - 12" squares, half triangles, etc. and practice blocks. Don't put batting in them but a couple had old blankets used as batting. Just as long as they are durable. I made one using up some fleece I had, the dogs loved laying their head on the fleece. As far as size - just so they fit in the kennels, so varied sizes. They quilts are washed frequently so they must be durable and well - stitched.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 AM

http://bizzyforgizzy.blogspot.com/
there is a tute on her site somewhere too. I think she just backs with fleece.