Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brand of LAQ Machine

Ok, I've got the bug. I've been looking at www.youtube.com and watching demos of different brands of machines.

What brand/type do you have and why did you choose it?

Thanks!

What does LAQ mean?

Long Arm Quilting
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    What does LAQ mean?

I have a Tin Lizzie 18. I chose it because it has lots of features included at a reasonable price. I bought it second hand and haven't had any trouble with it. I love my Lizzie!

Tin Lizzie 18. Got the most bang for my buck and I like the way it runs and sounds. And my dealer is less than 25 miles away.

PLEASE consider the location of a dealer/service when making this investment. You don't want to have to drive/or ship a long distance if you need help or repair.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    Oh boy, I've got the bug too. I've looked at several and I'm leaning towards the Homesteader - good price and seems to have the fewest tension complaints. Check out the yahoo longarm quilters group. Most of the longarms also have yahoo groups.

I bought a HandiQuilter Avante in Nov. last year - they were having a "truckload" sale of machines that had been at the Houston show and I got such a deal I couldn't refuse it! And I LOVE it. Aside from having trouble loading it each time due to my brain not being able to tell which way the rollers turn, it has been a delight.
    EDIT - they now make the Fusion which is longer-armed (Avante is 18"), and I've seen several Avantes for sale because someone wants to upgrade....

I've got the bug tooooo. Have used a Gammell on 3 queens and 2 king quilts (rented time) but don't want to invest $15,000+ for a machine for personal use. I also looked and demoed a Husquavarna LA at $8,000 but not sure the dealer knows as much as I do about them. I guess it all comes down to how much and what size quilts I want to LA. Mostly I would be doing crib quilts for a cancer hospital here in town and so a cheaper machine would serve my purpose. I could always gent time for larger quilts if I felt uncomfortable using what I decide on.

Good luck with your LA search.

I have a Gammill. I choose it because of the way it's built (machine and table/stand), the specifications of the motor and customer service. I have had my LA since 1998 and love it. I've never, ever regretted my decision and am looking for a second machine in the next year. It will be another Gammill.