Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Breaking needles? >

Breaking needles?

Breaking needles?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Do your feed dogs need to be lowered?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Are you using a small round-hole throat plate instead of an (zigzag) oval/oblong-hole throat plate?
Is it possible you have moved the needle just enough that it has hit the edge of the throat plate instead of the foot?

Jan in VA
Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM

Did you get all the pieces of needle out of the machine?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 PM

The first needle just bent and the sencond one cleared the machine so we're good with needle peices. My foot does have a spring, the feed dogs are down, and I have an oblong/zigzag hole in the plate. What gauge needle would you reccommend for FMQ?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:06 AM

As others have said, you're probably dragging your needle as you move your quilt, so that it hits the needle plate. Needle size is usually determined by thread size - 50wt thread, 80/12 needle - 40wt thread, 90/14 etc. I like a quilting needle, but sometimes use a Topstitch.

Some people have suggested using Titanium needles, but as you'll see from the picture below, they'll still hit the needle plate if you drag your quilt (time I practised what I preach, lol!). It's more a case of arranging good support for your quilt and trying not to go too fast when you change direction. Good luck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508148[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1315.jpg  
Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

WOW, that is one bent needle. In classes, I was taught to find a normal speed on your DSM and watch the rate of speed that the fabric is moving. This isn't fast petal to the metal speed. Try to get to that speed and then move the quilt at the same speed that the feed dogs moved it. Take your time, there is no rushing and breath. As you get more comfortable with practice, then at that point you can gradually increase your speed. But FMQ isn't a race.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM

I just broke the tip off another needle after double and triple checking everything and taking all your advice! I'm thinking that maybe bending the first needle threw something off in the mechanism. I think my little machine needs to go to the shop.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RosieQ View Post
I just broke the tip off another needle after double and triple checking everything and taking all your advice! I'm thinking that maybe bending the first needle threw something off in the mechanism. I think my little machine needs to go to the shop.
Are you breaking it on your first stitch?
Or are you FMQing for a while, before the break happens?

If you are getting past the first stitches .... my suggestion would be for you to switch back to regular stitching mode and check if you are able to good stitches. If so, then switch to zig-zag, and check the results. If all seems good and you feel up to it, then switch to FMQing and see what happens.

When you take it to your dealer, after they have serviced it, be sure to have something with you to sit down and practice FMQing with ... and ask them to give you a lesson, to be sure you are doing everything right.

Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM

I get through about 3 inches and then I break the tip off. I just realized that I have quilted 2 other small quilts on this machine with no problems. I think maybe the first needle was a little dull from doing all the sewing on flannel and that got me in trouble. I need to get all the fuzz of 3 flannel baby quilts out of the machine. Now I just have to find somewhere to service my machine near my new home.