Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bridal & Baby shower gifts >

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Bridal & Baby shower gifts

Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 AM

I know times are changing BUT I have received an invitation to a bridal shower that states gift cards only and from 1 to 3. The same with a baby shower invitation. IMO this is extremely tacky and makes me feel like I should just drop off the gift card and leave. I barely know the parents of the couples! I was told this is how they are 'throwing' the showers now. Is this going on in your town also?????? Am I just being too old fashioned to think the choice of gift is mine to make??? I can understand a theme or 'we are registered at' but just all gift cards only?????
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm not surprised but I've not received one yet. Sad:(
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM

I don't like that either. If your family is grown it is so much fun to look at all of the new merchandise in the stores and pick up something. Handmade gifts should be cherished. Maybe just go in with a group and throw in a few dollars for the gift card since they aren't really close to you. Sometimes I don't buy off of the registry and when my daughter got married this year many people just picked out something special for them that wasn't even on the list. DD didn't have a problem with it as she could take some of the cash and buy things off the registry after the wedding at a discount. I haven't experienced a shower where actual gifts are not acceptable.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
bj

I've been invited to one like that. Both were older (mid-30's) and had lived on their own since college and had nice things. She already had every kitchen gadget known. They asked for gift cards to Home Depot, as they'd bought an old fixer-upper house. I actually thought it was a great idea, for them. I think cards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you don't know the couples all that well.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:17 AM

That is very tacky and I would be upset also. You are not being old fashioned. I don't understand how people feel they can do things like that. Ann Landers would not approve of that, I'm sure.

Don't be upset about it, just figure they don't know any better..........

sandy14
Old 07-16-2011, 10:26 AM

I agree that it really takes the fun out of going to a shower! I am skipping the showers, but I will make the baby a gift that I will give to the grandparents to give to the parents, since I really don't see them at all.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 AM

We received a graduation invite for the children of my DH cousin. Now mind you we hadn't seen his cousin in at least 8 years. No Christmas cards, no phone call, nothing. I threw it in the trash. I think it's rude to request ANYTHING. A gift is given from someone. A gift is NOT requested. If you want to make something for the child, by all means go ahead. But since they are rude enough to request GC, they probably won't send a thank you card either. Times are getting harder and for someone, anyone to tell you what to give is rude. I'd pass.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Tacky!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Cheryl I agree!!!,
We received a baby shower invitation 2 years ago from a distant relative of hubby's. I embroidered 4 baby burp cloths and mailed them. We did not receive a thank you, no birth announcement, NADA, 2 years later we have heard nothing, so I no longer take the time to make nice gifts for someone I don't know. OTHER THAN CHARITY LOL!!!!! I have made charity gifts that the people have found a way to let me know the gift was appreciated, made my heart feel good. IMO any time I receive an invitation from out of town they are simply looking for a gift VERY SAD!!!!
Originally Posted by clynns
We received a graduation invite for the children of my DH cousin. Now mind you we hadn't seen his cousin in at least 8 years. No Christmas cards, no phone call, nothing. I threw it in the trash. I think it's rude to request ANYTHING. A gift is given from someone. A gift is NOT requested. If you want to make something for the child, by all means go ahead. But since they are rude enough to request GC, they probably won't send a thank you card either. Times are getting harder and for someone, anyone to tell you what to give is rude. I'd pass.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I've been invited to one like that. Both were older (mid-30's) and had lived on their own since college and had nice things. She already had every kitchen gadget known. They asked for gift cards to Home Depot, as they'd bought an old fixer-upper house. I actually thought it was a great idea, for them. I think cards are sometimes a good idea, especially when you don't know the couples all that well.
Gift card would be very appropriate & appreciated in a case like this where the couple already has everything they need. Fixer-uppers are expensive so a GC would be very useful.