Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bringing bobbin thread up. >

Bringing bobbin thread up.

Bringing bobbin thread up.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Default Bringing bobbin thread up.

When I bring my bobbin thread up I usually do it before I have placed the fabric under the foot so that I have my bobbin tail thread on the underside of my work. Before commencing sewing I lightly hold both my top and bobbin tails for the first few stitches. When I bury my threads I simply bury my top thread tails from the top side of the quilt, and my bobbin thread tails from the back of the quilt. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this and should be bringing the bobbin thread up through the quilt to the top side as everyone seems to do? just wondering.......
Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Power Poster

What you are doing works fine if you are starting at an edge. If you are starting a quilting pattern in the middle of the quilt, however, it is safer to bring your bobbin thread up to the top first so you can still hold both threads before starting to sew. Some machines will create a bird's nest underneath if the bobbin thread is not brought up to the top, and you often don't know this until the machine jams or until you finish quilting and turn the quilt over. What if you are quilting a pattern that starts in the middle of an 80" quilt? In order to hold both the bobbin and top threads when starting to sew, you would first have to pull the bobbin thread out about 45" -- quite a waste of thread. Bringing the bobbin thread up to the top allows you to control both threads even if you are not at an edge. Also, not controlling the bobbin thread from the top (when you are in the middle of the quilt) makes it possible to accidentally quilt over the excess bobbin thread, as you cannot see it.

Edit: Am I correct in thinking you are working on lap size or smaller quilts?

Last edited by Prism99; 12-24-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 AM

Hmmmm, never thought about it that way Prism99! Guess I've just been lucky so far (newbie status here, only done about 10 quilts...blush...) and I've not had any tangles but will have to change my ways as sure enough sooner or later I'll get into strife! Thanks for pointing it out to me...pretty obvious now that you've explained it....more blushing and sitting in the "dopey" corner for me!!!! haha
Old 12-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

​I do bring my bobbin thread to the top when machine quilting. It prevents snarls on the back or quilting over the thread tail with another quilting line.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the answers above. Also, if you're burying your threads, it's best to tie a knot in them first. You can't do that if they're not both on the same side of the quilt.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

It is just a good habit to bring the bobbin up thru the top. One day, you will get a nest from the loose bobbin.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Prism's answer was right on. I'd like to add that sometimes you want to stop in the middle of the quilt and start in another location in the middle. It took me awhile to figure it out. After you stop, pull your quilting piece away about 6-8" and then go back to the place you stopped and put your needle down, needle up and the bobbin thread will come. Pull it until it is long enough so you can bury the threads and clip the bobbin thread and top thread. Then go to the next spot and you can easily bring your bobbin thread to the top. Hope I explained it correctly - doing from memory 😒😒!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Prism's answer was right on. I'd like to add that sometimes you want to stop in the middle of the quilt and start in another location in the middle. It took me awhile to figure it out. After you stop, pull your quilting piece away about 6-8" and then go back to the place you stopped and put your needle down, needle up and the bobbin thread will come. Pull it until it is long enough so you can bury the threads and clip the bobbin thread and top thread. Then go to the next spot and you can easily bring your bobbin thread to the top. Hope I explained it correctly - doing from memory !
Great tip. Thanks. I was just reaching under my quilt to cut the thread when I ended and sometimes it's difficult to find.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I don't bury my threads. I just stitch several times back and forth a few stitches.
I don't know if the above ways would work if your machine has the cutter.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:30 PM

I also do this whether at the beginning or in the middle of a project.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I do bring my bobbin thread to the top when machine quilting. It prevents snarls on the back or quilting over the thread tail with another quilting line.