Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broadcloth for applique? Is Kona Broadcloth? >

Broadcloth for applique? Is Kona Broadcloth?

Broadcloth for applique? Is Kona Broadcloth?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 AM

Default Broadcloth for applique? Is Kona Broadcloth?

I'm looking for solid fabric for applique. Found this on fabric.com https://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabr...ubCategoryLink

so I looked up Broadcloth on wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcloth

So I'm thinking that this is thicker than a printed cotton and might be difficult to hand applique, or ever machine applique as it is thicker with more cut surface area (depth wise)

Am I wrong? What kind of solids do you use for hand applique. My stash is in desperate need for solids and just not sure what to buy.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM

I agree that it could be a big challenge to applique by hand. Check out Kona solids usually they aren't too see through.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I own mostly Kona solids and the fabric is rather thick. I would never use it to hand applique as I would not enjoy working a needle through it never mind folding it. Maybe look at Moda Bella Solids.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Broadcloth is not the same as kona, it is not as heavy and not see through. I have used it in sewing clothing. I have used it in applique with no problem. If you are not sure what broadcloth is go to a fabric store like Hancock's and ask to see it. You can feel it and see it is very easy to work with. I use it to make blouses and shirt's.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

In my experience, the Kaufman Kona solids have quite a "meaty" hand -- thicker than you would expect -- and I would not use them for applique. I have some Moda Bella solids, and they are more like quilting cotton; I would definitely try them for applique. I'm not sure why, but solid colors from all of the manufacturers seem to be broadcloth (which is a different weave from the prints); however, the thickness and softness of the solids seems to vary by manufacturer.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

There is cotton broadcloth and poly/cotton broadcloth. I bought some broadcloth with 100% cotton printed on it and when the iron hit it, it was like watching shrinky-dinks. Never had that happen before or since but I will be on the look-out in the future and iron test it before using it. I have used broadcloth in some children's dragger quilt as it doesn't fade and washes up beautifully.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Both Kona Cotton Solids and Moda Bella Solids are cotton broadcloth, both are 60x60 threads per inch (aka 60 square). With fewer threads per inch, the solids would logically be easier to appliqué than cotton prints, not harder. However, in my experience, there is really no difference in the ease of hand appliqué between regular quilting cottons, batiks, or Kona/Moda solids.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM

I was taught to applique from one of main members of the Baltimore Album Society, you don't get that position lightly. She uses alot of Kona cotton because its of good quality and the color stays true. It isn't hard to app at all. I like that fabric and Aurifil for my thread of choice.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm finding myself drawn more to solids and this is great information.