Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
broadcloth? Never again??? >

broadcloth? Never again???

broadcloth? Never again???

Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM

ok..I am doing the pinwheel project and since this quilt is going to be my youngest daughters I let her pick out the colors and cloth..I did not stop to think or question the cloth and its a 100 percent cotton broadcloth or so the tag said..Its like working with silk, no matter how many pins I use when I go to sew it, the material moves around a lot and trying to line up the edges and keeping them lined up is a nightmare..Is there anything I can do to help keep this fabric from moving? And its so super thin, when you hold it up you can see thru it.Its like working with air
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
ok..I am doing the pinwheel project and since this quilt is going to be my youngest daughters I let her pick out the colors and cloth..I did not stop to think or question the cloth and its a 100 percent cotton broadcloth or so the tag said..Its like working with silk, no matter how many pins I use when I go to sew it, the material moves around a lot and trying to line up the edges and keeping them lined up is a nightmare..Is there anything I can do to help keep this fabric from moving? And its so super thin, when you hold it up you can see thru it.Its like working with air
The only thing I can think of at this stage is to starch it - heavily.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 AM

have you tried using a lot of starch on it? that should help

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 AM

I will give that a try..I am having to use the iron on a low setting because the heat causes the fabric to shrink and draw up bad..Like its melting..One day I am going to get the hang of this..Thank you all for you help :)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 AM

It sounds as if your fabric is poly/cotton broadcloth in spite of what the tag said. Poly/cotton is thin and slippery just like you describe. It also likes to pucker if it is not pinned well (and yes starch it like crazy) and definately draws up when you iron it with a hot iron. It's not you or your quilting skills, it's the lousy (did I say that?) fabric!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
It sounds as if your fabric is poly/cotton broadcloth in spite of what the tag said. Poly/cotton is thin and slippery just like you dexcribe. It also likes to pucker if it is not pinned well and definately draws up when you iron it with a hot iron. It's not you or your quilting skills, it's the lousy (did I say that?) fabric!
You described exactly what is going on..Plus it ravels BAD!! Even using my rotary cutter which is sharp( cut my finger and didn't know it) The fabric starts shredding..I may end up scrapping this fabric and starting over..But, first I will try starching it heavy and see if that helps any..
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

My Grandma bought some fabric like that. It SAID 100 percent cotton, so she figured it would be okay, but its SO thin and light!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 AM

Sure sounds like poly/cotton. I hate working with it. I might consider finding another fabric.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 AM

You could also try a thin line of school (washable) glue to hold it together in addition to the pins.

Best of luck. It sounds so frustrating.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

gosh, my thought was somthing else was put on the bolt...broadcloth is normally quite a bit heavier than quilting cottons...and as for being (slippery?) makes a person go....hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
did you pre-wash...that would help with the slippery part, removing the sizing which can make a fabric slippery...but i would do a burn test and see if it is in fact cotton.
one thing that will help you is to use a stablizer, you could get a lightweight non-woven stablizer, they come in sew in and fusable...add it to the back =should make the fabric easier to work with and will add the weight needed to make it a good durable quilt. i am kind of surprised though...i've been using broadcloth fabrics for 40 years...i've never had a lightweight one, and i've never had a slippery one...where did you get it? i still am leaning toward, the incorrect fabric was on the bolt board and what you have is something different. but always open out bolts, spread out a yard or so -- look and feel the fabrics before buying them