Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: broadcloth

My dad always used broadcloth for his backings and often for solid offset colours for his tops. They seemed to work out just fine.

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by penny doty
    Please tell me if you use broadcloth for quilts, Joanns has this for a $1.99 a yard and my husband can give me $10.00 so I can star sewing, thank you for your help in this.
    Go for it...and good luck on your quilting. Hope your back feels better soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    thank all of you for your help, and I hope my back feels better to, makes me crabby when I hurt all the time, my poor husband ha ha..

Dear Penny,
    Our foreparents used whatever was left over from worn out clothing. They did not have the luxury of purchasing fabric to make a quilt, although these were basically natural fibers and fabrics. Some of us were so poor that the batting was more old ragged clothing or newspaper and what beautiful quilts were made.

Even after man made fabrics came into being, there are still people who are not able to purchase luxuries, like yards of fabric. So, enjoy sewing your quilt with what resources are available to you. I have learned to make do with what I have and oh what treasures can evolve from a willing heart and creative spirit. ENJOY!!!! Please post pictures of your creations. We all had a beginning in this wonderful craft.

Three cheers for putting it so well, Ellis' Granny B!

Penny, use what you have available, and enjoy the process of creating!

Being disabled, and with very limited income, I have found yard sales to be a real bonanaza for finding fabrics. Not only do you find actual fabric stashes from time to time, but if you are open to taking apart clothing items, it is amazing what you can get for a quarter sometimes.While the clothing may be out of style, the fabrics used are timeless. A seam ripper, and willingness to dismantle things can provide you with some great materials for very little cost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2