Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broke my machine? >

Broke my machine?

Broke my machine?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 AM

Default Broke my machine?

New to the board. Hope someone can help.

I have a Bernina 150QE bought new maybe 15 years ago, a real workhorse. Yesterday I forgot to change back from zig zag to straight stitch in the computer tho I had changed the presser foot. When I sewed the needle zigged and came down on the presser foot hard enough to break the needle. Changed the needle, rethreaded the machine, switched to straight stitch but noticed that there's no pressure from the presser foot. Reinstalled it but it seems to lower only to about 1/8" above the fabric so of course there's no interaction with the feed dogs. My dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away and I can't get there until next week; any thoughts on what might have happened?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I think the feed dog shaft may have been pushed up. Look where the shaft is held by a ,usually an Allen screw, to the main shaft. Loosen the screw and pull it back down. There may be a mark showing where it was to begin with.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

And you may also have a tiny piece of the broken needle. I would use a magnet and a light just to look. I have about 4-5 of those telescopic magnets to get into small places.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think the feed dog shaft may have been pushed up. Look where the shaft is held by a ,usually an Allen screw, to the main shaft. Loosen the screw and pull it back down. There may be a mark showing where it was to begin with.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Excuse my manners!! Welcome to the board! So many things to learn and we also would appreciate your input on different subjects. Suggestions are welcomed whole heartedly!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 and I did that once before breaking the needle but luckily I didn't have the same problem that occurred with your Bernina. I would call the dealership and see what they have to say.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:47 PM

On these particular Berninas, there's a clutch-like mechanism that will need to be re-set by your dealer. Not something you want to attempt yourself.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 AM

I did that on my Brother 1500 for some reason the needle hit very hard and it would not sew with feed dogs So I took the plate of and the broken part of the needle was stuck on the side of the feed dogs so it would move!! I hope it's a simple fix for you!!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to this wonderful board. Lots of knowledgeable people here and ready to help.
I would suspect a piece of needle stuck by the side of the feed dogs.
This happened to one of my machines when I was quilting and pulled the quilt too hard and broke the needle. I found the offending piece of needle and pulled it out with tweezers.
Good luck and I hope it is an easy fix.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Welcome to the board. I hope you can find a easy fix. I do not have that brand of machine so I can't be of any help other to say if you can't see the problem wait to take it in for the dealer to fix. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Welcome to a great board! Darn, I hate it when I do something to one of my machines like that. As has been previously stated, might have to take it in to have the dealer take a look. I myself would probably take my throat plate off and use my little vacuum attachments to see if there is anything blocking. Also rethread the machine and turn off and back on. Hope you get it resolved soon so you will be back sewing.