Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bromine stained my bedspread... Anyone know what I might be able to do!?

We have a hot tub and recently had to mop up a lot of bromine (like chlorine) water. Bromine can stain things if used in a high enough concentration. I FOOLISHLY put this bed cover in the washing machine with the white towels that were soaked in Bromine. Now I have yellow patches all over it.

Does anyone have any idea what can take the stains out??

Here's what the spread looks like with a topper over it:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bromine will bleach just like chlorine so it may be bleached in those spots, sure did a job on my hubbys bathing suit. It went from Black to a muddy grey.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you can call the supplier where you bought the chemical and ask them? I am sure that you are not the only one that this has happenend to, and they may have a suggestion to get out the stains.

JJs
    Banned
    you might try soaking it in oxyclean - I know billy mays isn't here to scream at us about it anymore, but it does work..
    whether it will work on this I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Bromine will bleach just like chlorine so it may be bleached in those spots, sure did a job on my hubbys bathing suit. It went from Black to a muddy grey.
    I am pretty sure it is a stain. The Pillow shams were washed the day before and they are the same color now as the unstained portions.

I thought the bromine idea was a good one because it had bleached several of my bathing suits too!

Peroxide is great about removing stains. Nurses use it on their scrubs to remove blood & everything else. Try that. OxyClean is mostly peroxide. It will not hurt colors and really makes whites white.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramof6
    Peroxide is great about removing stains. Nurses use it on their scrubs to remove blood & everything else. Try that. OxyClean is mostly peroxide. It will not hurt colors and really makes whites white.
    I like that idea... should I make a dilution of it or use it full strength on the stains?

I would probaly dilute it at first. Good luck!