Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Designio or SB7900E embroidery machine? >

Brother Designio or SB7900E embroidery machine?

Brother Designio or SB7900E embroidery machine?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 AM

Default Brother Designio or SB7900E embroidery machine?

I'm thinking about getting an embroidery machine. I've never done embroidery so I'm doing my homework first and have read a lot of posts on this board. My local SMD has a Brother SB7900E ($1199) but I've read on-line reviews on the Brother Designio DZ820E (advertised on-line for $680 but my dealer doesn't have it). Anyone have any experience with either of these machines?

From what I've read, the Designio allows editing (and the SB7900E does not) and comes highly recommended. I'm leaning towards the Designio. It appears to be a little more than a "beginner" machine which will probably be all I would ever need for home use. Would like to do deco pillows and add names to baby quilts to start.

I will not buy anything until I try it out first. I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not sure how much I will use an embroidery machine really so I'm not wanting to invest a ton of $ (I know there will be more items I'll need to go with it) but not sure I want just a lesser very basic machine with no room to grow my skills. All advice (pros & cons) are appreciated.

Thank you,
Sharon
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

To be honest, they look like identical machines except that the SB7900E comes bundled with a $420 software package, and they are different colors. They both do the same editing.
The info the brother site for the SB7900E says: "Design editing features include rotate, mirror images and increase/decrease the size of your design" (http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin.../#.VTkrvYvD_b0 expand the drop down for the 7900).
The info the brother site for the Designio says: "Design Editing features rotate, mirror-image, increase and decrease the size of your designs"
This is the standard set of design manipulation that seems to come with all embroidery machines. I had a $300 brother embroidery machine about 10 years ago with the same built in functions.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Wow, Paper Princess, I'll keep doing my homework ... $300 was a great buy. I guess I misread (or probably forgot) that they "both" did editing ... thought one did more than the other. I'll go back and print off the descriptions this time and do some highlighting of features. I did read somewhere that the Designio was a Consumer Digest pick and a better value for the $$.

Thanks for responding!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you can download the manuals. That would be the clincher! My el cheapo machine had a 4X4 embroidery area, but it was a Brother and worked well.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM

That Designio machine looks pretty sweet. I have a Brother embroidery machine very similar to that one; it's the PE770II, purchased from Overstock.com. The only drawback to my machine (in case you run into that model in your research) is that although it has a USB port, you can't transfer designs directly from a stick. I have to run a USB cable from my computer to the machine to transfer the design. Not a big issue but I wish I had a machine that could use a stick because it's so much easier.

Other than that, I highly recommend Brother embroidery machines. This is my second one; I traded up because my first one only had a 4"x4" stitch field, which is too limiting for a lot of designs.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

Here's a direct comparison:
http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewin...E#.VTk2s5Ocj4Q

My BFF has the Designio and loves it. It's a great machine. The Designio is actually just a PE770 in a different dress and comes with a bunch of supplies that the 770 does not. It's easy to use right out of the box, although if you watch all the Utube videos while you're waiting for it to arrive you will be more informed and ready to begin. That's what my BFF did and even though she had never used an embroidery machine before she did great her first time stitching a project.
The SB7900E has one big drawback that I can see in the comparison- it doesn't have a USB port for importing designs. You have to use design cards. That's probably why it comes with software. Personally I'd prefer a USB over just a card slot. My Janome machines have both.

Cari

Edit-The Designio can import from a USB drive, no need to connect to a computer.

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 04-23-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

My understanding is that the Brothers have smaller hoops so make sure that is something you can live with.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My understanding is that the Brothers have smaller hoops so make sure that is something you can live with.
These machines use a 5x7 hoop and there's an optional 5x12. The Designio comes with 3 hoops. The SB7900E comes with one hoop, you have to buy all the others.

Cari
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 AM

I purchased a Brothers HE 1 embroidery machine yesterday. Regularly $369 ... on sale for $299 ... but with an extra coupon I got it for $255. Not at all what I was looking at, however, for that price I thought it was a very "economical" way to find out IF I will even enjoy doing embroidery. I read most of the manual but haven't set the machine up yet. I'm a little "anxious" about it since I've never done embroidery and plan to re-read the instructions with each step. I picked up a few supplies (along with those that came with the machine) to play around with. Thought I would start out making a quilt label.

Wish me luck!

Sharon