Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother embroidery owners >

Brother embroidery owners

Brother embroidery owners

Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Brother embroidery owners

I purchased a PE-770 machine about 4 months ago - I really wanted it to make quilt labels, monograms and names - I am finding it very limiting and cannot figure out how to make a label with my machine - I think I need a digitizer program in order to make my own labels then transfer them to my machine for stitching. Does this make sense? So, if this is true - what program will work for my machine? I went to a Brother dealer last week and she wanted to sell me a $ 300- $400 program - is this really what I need? Would love any advice and if you could point me in the right direction.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

when I bought mach ine, the lady wouldn't sell me one, she said take it home and see what you need. she said to come back after I played with it, and i could buy off the net for starting at $100.00. I still haven't bought one coz I haven't figure it out yet. she also said, sometimes you can get it for free off the net.
my problem is downloading the designs from say emb lib.com. can't get them to load to the thumb drive
Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, embroidery software is very expensive and 300 -400 is on the low side. You can try Embird. You can download a trial version and see if it does what you want. Not sure if you would need the lettering module. I think it's still around $200. There used to be an application that only did labels... let me see if I can find it.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-16-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Ok, It's called Quilt Label Works, but not very good reviews:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t209599.html
Old 11-16-2013, 11:32 AM

All you need for quilt labels is a good editing, a digitizing programs is if you want to create your own designs emblibrary sells lots of label patterns you can get them cheap when they do their 15 for 15 design deals and just use the lettering in your program to add letters to the label. A cheaper one is embrilliance essentials, the reason why I recommend this program is it is similar to embroidery works which is the one I have and it is super easy to use. embroidery works everyday will run you about 400 and has more features like hoop splitting and such. I have the advanced which cost me 800 and it has all the editing features you will ever need without digitizing. I would demo a few softwares(most have 30 day trials) to decide which you like, my pe design plus(purchased without demo) was not what I imagined it to be and probably will not use it until I upgrade it to digitizing software. Embird is popular and reasonable but I also did not care for that, not the easiest to use. There are quite a few free ones that will do basics. Embrilliance runs about 140 through nancys notions online. Also I think now on their website they now have add ons for it so it can do more now like font packs, and splitting designs. If you want to add as you go for what you need and you want something very user friendly this might be better than embird which is similar in that you can add more as you go. Embird however is not user friendly you will probably have to find a group to figure out the program in more detail. If you can afford it embroidery works is really amazing. It is pricey, but I love how easy it is to use and how much editing features you get for the price
Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Doesn't your machine have built in fonts and frames designs? You should be able to use those built ins to make your labels without any separate software. Your manual should have those instructions. The dealer should have mentioned that instead of trying to sell you something else.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
when I bought mach ine, the lady wouldn't sell me one, she said take it home and see what you need. she said to come back after I played with it, and i could buy off the net for starting at $100.00. I still haven't bought one coz I haven't figure it out yet. she also said, sometimes you can get it for free off the net.
my problem is downloading the designs from say emb lib.com. can't get them to load to the thumb drive
Do you load them directly because emblibrary most designs download as zip files, and you have to extract them before placing them on your zip drive. If you put zip files on your drive, your machine can't read them so that might be why they are not reading in your machine.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
Doesn't your machine have built in fonts and frames designs? You should be able to use those built ins to make your labels without any separate software. Your manual should have those instructions. The dealer should have mentioned that instead of trying to sell you something else.
My machine does have 5 built in fonts? it has letters but I cannot manipulate the letters into a written label - I can outline something and I can make one word - but I cannot make several words - I hope that makes sense - maybe I just don't know how to do it. Also, I bought my machine online - I really thought it would be easy - I just wanted a basic machine and didn't want to get into digitizing and such -so I am wondering if I have to invest more in order to make a quilt label. I am willing to purchase a design that would make my label - I just need the ability to change names, dates, etc as I need to for each label. I hope you guys can help me to understand what the heck I need to do. As I said its a PE-770 so hopefully that will tell you what it can do.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 AM

If you want to digitize you need a program for that. EmBird is a good program and easy to use besides there are some great groups and tutorials. You could also buy some designs and then just insert your own text.
Most embroidery files come as a ZIP file so will need to be unzipped or extracted to be able to go onto the Thumb drive as a file that an embroidery machine can read. PM me if I can help further or any other questions.
Kirsten
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM

I use EQ Stitch. Not sure if the cost though, because I had EQ7 and the stitch part was an upgrade.