Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother P1500S sewing machine question..need advice >

Brother P1500S sewing machine question..need advice

Brother P1500S sewing machine question..need advice

Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 AM
FLQ

Default Brother P1500S sewing machine question..need advice

I am using a little used Brother 1500 and I am experiencing a thread cutter problem. When I use the cutter the thread pulls out from the needle no matter what position, I.e., foot up, foot down, needle up, needle down. Before I spend $85 to have the machine worked on I thought I'd ask here if anyone has suggestions to resolve the problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 AM

If the tension is set too high it will cause the needle to unthread. I never use the cutter with monofilament thread. It snaps out no matter where the tension is set.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I had this problem with my 1500 too! A poster here told me how to fix it. The top bar that has the three holes are for tension of the different wts. of thread. For regular piecing thread only thread through the far right hole and thread down the hole not up and then back down. That solved the unthreaded needle problem for me! I went to two different dealers asking about this problem and each one said I needed a new thread cutter. I won't be buying anything from their shops.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM

@Bellaboo. That solved it for me, too. It seems that the lighter weight threads curl for some reason. They are fine as long as there is a pull on them with the foot down. As soon as you lift the presser foot, the stressed curl goes back to being curly and pulls out of the needle.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a thread cutter and usually leave the presser foot down then cut the thread. If I think thread may pull out of the needle, I just pull it out a bit more. Biggest reason mine comes unthreaded --- something hits or snags it.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 AM

I think BellaBoo has it. I use bottom line thread for piecing and I thread through all three holes in the thread guide. However, if I switch to a heavier weight thread and forget to use just 1 or 2 holes, the thread will pull out of the needle. So experiment with using different holes in the thread guide, you may solve the problem that way.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM

I use this machine at work and love it. If using a cotton thread in the machine I do have to lower the tension to about a 3 and thread thru the last two holes on the pre-tensioner. When thread cutting, I leave the presser foot down, hit the cutter button and make sure the thread cutter is totally finished before removing my piece. I think it is because of the natural stretch of the cotton thread. If using poly thread I still leave the tension around 3 but thread thru all 3 holes on the pre-tensioner. Also, clean out the tension disks. I use unwaxed dental tape. I use about a 1 yard piece of dental tape and tie knots about every two inches in the tape. I wrap this around the tension disks and "floss" back and forth. This removes a bunch of gunk. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by FLQ View Post
I am using a little used Brother 1500 and I am experiencing a thread cutter problem. When I use the cutter the thread pulls out from the needle no matter what position, I.e., foot up, foot down, needle up, needle down. Before I spend $85 to have the machine worked on I thought I'd ask here if anyone has suggestions to resolve the problem.
Hi, I am having the same problem with my Brother, A NX- 400. I had it serviced and it came back with this problem !!! I phoned the shop but they could give me no idea how to solve the problem. Needless to say, that quilt shop, who are |Brother agents are off my list. The first service was £40 and they showed me a tiny amount of fuff under the needle race---which I clear myself on a regular basis. I am now trying to find a service agent in this area,Tyne & Wear, UK.I haven't been up here long but like to keep my machine regularly serviced. Oh well you all know what it is like when your sewing friend is not in the best of health. Letty
Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 AM
FLQ

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try them out today. I must add that i didn't think about tension and thread type as the issue. It will be a luxury for me if I can have a proper thread cutter. Happy quilting!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I had this problem with my 1500 too! A poster here told me how to fix it. The top bar that has the three holes are for tension of the different wts. of thread. For regular piecing thread only thread through the far right hole and thread down the hole not up and then back down. That solved the unthreaded needle problem for me! I went to two different dealers asking about this problem and each one said I needed a new thread cutter. I won't be buying anything from their shops.

Me, too. Exactly.