Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PE 770 >

Brother PE 770

Brother PE 770

Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTX View Post
Thank you all for your advice.

Do I need a design program?
That depends what you want to do. If you just want to slightly enlarge or see what you are doing on the computer screen, you can download Wilcom truesizer. It is a freebie and I use it a lot for checking the colors etc. The Pe770 is in black and white and the screen is small. If you want to learn to digitize, you can download ERA universal ( Sierra) Some sights have it for free download, I purchased the CD for 14.99. I think it is not easy to learn, but there are quite a few places you can get help. It truly is a digitizing program and I do adjust my own files, remove unwanted pieces of my embroidery files, digitize my own labels etc. I know some people love Embird, trial period for free. Take some time to see what you would like to do. Don't jump into anything right away. Embroidery can become quite expensive, so you want to pick and choose.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM

I just went to another e-mail of mine and the link to ERA Universal was there. If you are interested, here is the link.
http://www.lorileedesigns.com/
She has direct download as a choice and she has a lot of good info. Make sure that you check that your computer is ready to accept the program.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Thank you Freddie.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

I was in Hobby Lobby today and I asked about stabilizer. The associate pointed me to the shelves to where I could purchase it by the yard. But then he threw me a question and I was like, huh? He asked me if I wanted just the tear away stabilizer or the iron on? Ok, didn't know there was an iron on. He suggested I purchase the iron on since I am a beginner in machine embroidery. Well, I didn't make the purchase, as I wanted to get the opinion of others. So, for majority of you who have this machine, which type do you use of stabilizer, regular or iron on?

Oh, he also pointed me in the direction of the threads, would you recommend "Coats and Clark" embroidery threads?

TIA
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM

I bought most of my thread from ThreadArt - it's the same thread as a bunch of others, just packaged under different names.

Their set of 160 different colors is on sale for $190, this week, which seems like a really great deal to me - there is a LOT of thread on these mini king cones. This was the most economical way I could find to get really good quality polyester embroidery thread in a large range of colors all at once. And the thread is shiny, smooth, embroiders beautifully either computerized or free-hand and I've never had a problem with a single spool I've bought from them. I use them as quilting threads and painting threads, too.

They also sell bobbin thread in 60 wt in very large cones - only black or white. I think the diameter is similar to Bottom Line, which is 70 wt. Either of those work well on the back of embroidery.

I buy their pre-wound Style A bobbins when they're on sale - 144 bobbins to a case and they last a LONNNNG time. I can use these in any of my machines that take a class 15 bobbin. This is very fine thread - it might be the 90 wt you're looking for. It's practically invisible on the backside except for the sheen.

I stayed away from rayon because it burns too easily and can change color in laundering. The polyester is colorfast and you can iron it if you don't use the high setting on your iron.

http://www.threadart.com/c-2-thread.aspx
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Thank you. I think I may have hit a jackpot! lol

Last edited by SharonTX; 07-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Boy talk about quick shipping! I placed mt order with ThreadArt around 4 a.m. yesterday morning and received my embroidery thread and pre wound bobbins today!!!!! Sad though, I received thread before my PE 770. But once , it gets here, I'll be ready to go! Hopefully it will be here no later than Tuesday.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM

I use Isacord and purchace mine through imachinegroup.com Their prices are about half of what the local retailer charges for the 1000M cones in thread sets.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM

I've had a couple of two day deliveries from them - they're here in Texas and they usually ship the same day they receive the order.

Hope you have a lot of fun with your new machine. Hard to wait on something so fun!