Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PE770 Questions/Discussion >

Brother PE770 Questions/Discussion

Brother PE770 Questions/Discussion

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM

I see that a few of us received new embroidery machines... There are so many of you using them or something similar - can anyone help with a few things?

My first question:

I used a 4 x 4 hoop to put a hot rod on DH's T-Shirt. That part went well with a couple of exceptions.
In one area on the hood the embroidery just poofed up a little in two consecutive rows. Just a random thing?
Then the final black outline didn't line up very well, looked like the machine slipped some during the quilting steps. So the final outline is off like an eighth or so - clearly visible...
(This design was downloaded from a CD by DesignsBySick.com)
Do you think this was just a fluke or does this just happen from time to time. Are some designs just poor? Are some design programs better than others? I would not be able to sell it or anything - it's pretty obvious.

My next question:

He asked me to put "Phils Hot Rods" on it as well. "Phils" above the car and "Hot Rods" below the car.

First problem: I couldn't find a "Space" key in the built in lettering so I could put "Hot Rods" in all at once. So I had to do them separately which was a nightmare to re-align. Is there a key to insert a space that I just didn't see?

Also, Does the machine always line up center/center or is there a way to have it line up where you want the top or bottom of the letter or word to begin? Like far left rather than the middle?
Or do I just need to get used to is aligning everything at center/center?

I sure would appreciate any help with this. There is very little info available out there. Seems like some of this stuff should have been included in a booklet accompanying the machine for the amount of money they get for these babies...

BTW - I am totally in love with this machine!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Best advice, test any design first on a sample piece of fabric. The same type if at all possible. Some designs are just off. Unless you didn't have it hooped tightly, or it came unhooped, I'm thinking it's the design itself. T shirts can be difficult to embroider on too. I ususally use iron on stabilizer for them, and sometimes overlay the top with washaway too. Oh, yes there is a space key, it looks like a small line on the page with the alphabet. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 PM

I saw what looks like a dash and one that looks like an underline. Which one is it? And thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it.
That sounds like a good way to prepare a T-Shirt in the future. Do you use an iron on stabilizer that washes out?

I didn't touch the hoop at all and I think if anything I had it a bit too tight as I also got some very minor puckering.

I just remembered that the needle broke while it was doing the flames. I'll bet that was enough to throw it off of alignment. It wasn't visible on the remaining stitches until it came time to do the final outline. There probably isn't much I could have done to change it, since it didn't show until the end. I've broken two needles already. I think, I need to get an adapter to get my thread off of the built in holder (which feeds horizontally) and get it from above it instead. But I'll bet that's what happened to the design. Possible?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't have the 770 anymore, but I think it's the one that looks like an underline. I use iron on on the back, then peel off after it's finished. I use solvy on the top. It's been awhile since I embroidered t shirts, what you have to watch for most with them is stretching. You wouldn't want the fabric stretched during hooping, just taught. Hope that makes sense. The solvy on the top will keep the stiches from embedding into the fabric, thus they will stand up better.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Definitely good advice, to stitch out all designs on sample piece first. T-shirts and stretchy fabrics can be very tricky to successfully embroider. First, make sure they are firm in the hoop but not stretched. This causes puckers. I use adhesive back stabilizer, but iron on would also be good. Both adhere to the knit and prevent it from pulling when hooped. I also like to use a water soluble stabilizer on top. Sometimes, I don't even hoop the shirt, I use the adhesive stabilizer in the hoop and float/stick the shirt to the stabilizer. This also helps prevent stretching.

The underscore (underline) should be your space. Again, try this on a test piece.

I have an older Brother embroidery machine and you can adjust where the pattern starts. And, you can preview the area it will stitch. Meaning, the machine shows you the outline of where it will stitch by moving the needle around in a square without stitching. All of this is in the operation manual for my machine. Maybe yours has it, too? Offhand, I don't recall the sequence of buttons to use for this. If you can't find it in your book, send me a PM and I will sit down with the machine so I can tell you how mine works.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

For me tees were the hardest things to embroider well due to the strechy fabric. I hoop a stablizer and float the tee and a washaway stablizer.
I starch well and press the area. I also use a basting stitch first before stitching the design.
Dense designs do not stitch as well on tees.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Did you buy your machine thru a local store or on line? Which brand did u purchase? If from a store they should offer free classes. If not you tube has some awesome help there. Two of the most important things - stabilzer on the back and a wash away stabilizer on the top. Also make sure you are using the correct needle for the thread you are using. There are needles for embroidery. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM

The machine was purchased online and out of state - there is a service company about 20 minutes from here. I did go in and talk with them, but there were 6 people waiting to talk to this gal, so I took her card and settled for just a few questions. Purchased a smaller 4 x 4 hoop and extra stabilizer. Figured I'd try to visit again after the holidays.

What do you mean "float the T-shirt" and not put it in the hoop. Do you still have the hoop in place or is it completely removed from the machine?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM

There are several embroidery groups on yahoo for you to join and also embroidery library.com has several good tutes. A lot of it is learning by trial and error. I test stitch everything! I test it on a similar fabric and if I have enough of it, I will make the piece big enough so I can use it for a quilt square later (if it turns out good). Or I will put the test piece in a binder with a printout of the design and notes on stabilizer used, thread colors used and/or a note if something didn't quite stitch out correctly. I also keep a 3 ring binder of articles that are posted on the groups such as Stabilizer, Needles, Placements, Thread, etc. That way I can refer to a certain section if I need to check something out.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM

I did start a binder because there is tons of info out there. It jut seems like most of it is repeated info.