Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PQ 1500s - does anyone have this machine? >

Brother PQ 1500s - does anyone have this machine?

Brother PQ 1500s - does anyone have this machine?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
Love my Brother PQ 1500. I use my mine for all my quilting because it has a little longer arm. The bobbins are metal and I just have the ones that came with the machine. Not sure if it has a 1/4 inch foot...I haven't used it for piecing in
years.
This is a great machine for quilting. I love the 2 extra inches for the bulk. A good basic machine that is easy to use and reliable.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 AM

I bought mine when they first vame out an i wouldn't take nothing for it when everything fails that't my baby love love it don't pass this one up. Crella
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM

Sorry came crella
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM

So far I am extremely happy with the machine. I free motioned quilted for the very first time yesterday and in an hour was able to do 2 charity lap quilts in an overall medium-large design. These are my practice pieces as I can't see wasting fabric or batting -- I have 4 more sandwiched and ready to go. My stitching is irratic and all over the place, but that is not the fault of the machine as it worked flawlessly. I decided to keep using the Janome for piecing as I really do like the 1/4 foot with a guide - it has spoiled me from having to be so careful when piecing. But the Brother is going to be a champ for FMQ, and if I can figure out how to attach a guide to the walking foot, for that as well. I'm one happy camper right now with my new machine (which still hasn't been named).
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM

I, too, have one....since 2000.Paid $999.00 on sale. It is my definite "go to" machine for straight stitching...Very uncomplicated.....Have you contacted Brother to see if you can't buy a manual? Bet you can although if you are a stitcher, you will figure this out in no time. As for bobbins, the manual says Part # SA159. I get mine on line or at a local quilt shop that also does maintenance. This machine does require sewing machine oil often and rather diligent lint removal. I even take the bottom off my machine every six months and clean out the lint. As a result, I've only taken it in for a full maintenance twice since I've had it. I generally put one drop of machine oil in each of the little holes on top of the unit, under the throat and one drop on the "hook" of the bobbin. I do think the threader is worthless. I just thread mine manually. This is a workhorse and a very well built machine. Glad you found yours.....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM

As for the FMQ foot, I altered mine. There is a Leah Day video regarding this. I just could not stand the closed circle so I cut mine off. Now it is an open toe and I can see much better.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Have this machine. Love it. After years of frustration trying to FMQ on my Sapphire, purchased this and it is a solid workhorse with a great straight stitch and perfect for FMQ. I use it a lot more than my Sapphire.
There is a quarter inch foot with a guide online, saw it the other day. Will see if I can find it again. Have used the one that comes with it but, like you, would like the guide. (May try the plastic card method and see how that works.)
Issues (all minor in my opinion)
1. Bobbin is a little tricky to get in at first, and no clue when it is empty. Must be diligent.
2. Thread goes from left to right. No problems once you have done it a few times.
3. This thing goes fast. When FMQ a touch of the foot can speed it up to an uncomfortable speed. I taped a strip of cardboard to the foot pedal that has kind of become "mushed down" with use, but it keeps it from suddenly jumping to astronomical speeds. As I have become more used to it, this is not so necessary, but it does work well. This is a machine that cries out for a speed control of some sort.
4. Occasionally when I use the thread cutter - and I use it a lot - the thread pulls out of the needle and I have to re-thread. Not sure what is happening, suspect user error since it is so good most of the time. Still working on that.

Overall, however, I am super happy with this machine. It is mechanical, not fussy, excellent stitch, easy controls that are variable, has the needle down feature that I use a lot, and you can clean and oil it yourself - no expensive "servicing" for that routine maintenance.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Try this:
http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/brot...c-p-29428.html
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM

I have a 1500 and I love it. I use it for piecing, the little bit of FMQ that I've done, and my DH uses it on the PCQuilter. Wish is had a zigzag and I don't ever use the threader, but otherwise, have no complaints. Wish I could pick up another one cheap. Enjoy your new littl gem Donna
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Lucky you! That is a great deal!!! I have this machine and realy l.ike it. Mine came with a 1/4" foot that I use and several other feet that I have not yet used. As others have said this is a great workhourse of a machine. I have also found it coming unthreaded when using cutting feature so I will try to thread the top only one one hole. It is really nice for FMQ and also for regular piecing.

Bobbin # SA-159. I ordered 5 pks of 5 from ken's so I would have many extra but at about $1.00 each bobbin (about $5 /pack I do not have as many extras as for my singer. I am afraid to use any other bobbin with machine since using the wrong bobbin can cause problems.

This is a great machine and I hope you really love it and have many happy hours of quilting on it.